Edit student submission in Forced Group Mode

Edit student submission in Forced Group Mode

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 4

I have a course with several non-editing teachers. Each Non-editing teacher is in charge of a group, but not all students are in a group. I set the course settings to Force Group Mode so the non-editing teachers would only see assignments from their group. 

I am the editing teacher in the course and sometimes I need to edit a student's submission. However, I noticed when I change the course to Force Group mode in the course settings I can only edit submissions of students that are in a group and not those for students that are not in a group (not all students in the course are in a group). 

Any idea how I can edit student assignment submissions for all students while working within group mode so that non-editing teachers only see submissions from those in their groups?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Edit student submission in Forced Group Mode

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You don't need to force group mode for this.  You just need to remove the permission for non-editing teachers to see all groups.  This way they can only see the students in their group regardless of the activity settings.  Remove the force group mode and you should be fine.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Whitney Lowe -

I have looked all through the non-editing teacher role definitions and unchecked a few things that seemed pertinent, but I could not find one that specified a permission for non-editing teachers to see all groups. I must be in the wrong place. I went to:

Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles

Is this not the right location?

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Whitney Lowe -

I also went to:

Course Administration > Users > Permissions

Here I checked to see if non-editing teachers had permissions to "Access all Groups" 

The non-editing teacher is not listed as having this access, but when I check the account of a non-editing teacher, they can still see submissions from all people and not just their group.