H5P

H5P

by Jess B -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

I just downloaded Moodle to experiment with H5P. I'm running into problems installing the plugin. 

This is the guide: https://h5p.org/comment/6610

Everything is okay until I get to the Install Now button... which isn't there. So I've downloaded it and gotten to step 5. This is where I always get the error message that the page can't be displayed. 

I'm scratching my head as to why. Would it have anything to do with needing to have a registered Moodle site?

Thanks for any help,

J.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jess B

Re: H5P

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

It’s nothing to do with being a registered site or not.

But I’m slightly confused - easily done at the moment 😁 - you said you’d got to step 5 in that guide, but the Install Now button is mentioned in Step 2.

The Install Now button will only show if you’re installing the version of the plugin that is compatible with your version of Moodle. So what version of Moodle are you on?

And if you have managed to get to Step 5 and your getting a blank screen, there’s a problem. You’ll need to turn debugging on to troubleshoot that.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jess B -

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I got to step 5 by downloading the zip file and then instead of installing from the plug-in directory, uploaded the zip from my computer and got to step 5 that way. I'm using Moodle 3.6. So I turned on debugging...  and what you said about the compatibility issue made a lot of sense. I went through the process again and... dun dun dun... the install button appeared. 

I got this page: 

Moodle 3.6

Install plugins from the Moodle plugins directory

Debugging output enabled
Downloading mod_hvp ... OK
Validating mod_hvp ... 

And then:

Moodle 3.6

Install plugins from the Moodle Plugins directory

Debugging output enabled
Downloading mod_hvp ... OK
Validating mod_hvp ... OK
  [OK] Name of the plugin to be installed [hvp]  
  [OK] Plugin version [2019031301] 
  [OK] Required Moodle version [2013051403] 
  [OK] Full component name [mod_hvp] 
  [OK] Declared maturity level [MATURITY_STABLE]  
  [OK] Plugin release [1.17.2] 
  [Debug] Found language file [hvp] 
  [OK] Write access check [/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle36/mod] 

Validation successful, installation can continue

But I still landed here:

This page isn’t working

localhost is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Would you know how to troubleshoot this...?

Cheers,

J.

In reply to Jess B

by Jon Bolton -

The 500 Internal Server Error is the general catch all error when the server throws an exception. It’s the error message when no more specific error message is suitable.

It may be difficult to troubleshoot this error because it can be triggered out by many different issues.

When you switched debugging on, did you select an option for displaying the debug messages? Choose the DEVELOPER option and try the install again. And do you have access to your web server error logs?

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Please note: I am just going to move this thread, as it's not directly related to Teaching with Moodle...

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jason Hu -
Hi Jon:
I've just encountered the exact same 500 error.
below are debugging messages, could you please to advise how to fix it? thanks a lot

------ upload the h5p plugin zip file
Moodle 3.8
Install plugin from ZIP file
Debugging output enabled
ZIP /Applications/MAMP/data/moodle38/temp/tool_installaddon/5efa6290-4ecb-4396-b4e0-efea37e0b617/plugin.zip
Validating mod_hvp ... OK
[OK] Name of the plugin to be installed [hvp]
[OK] Plugin version [2019052100]
[OK] Required Moodle version [2013051403]
[OK] Full component name [mod_hvp]
[OK] Declared maturity level [MATURITY_STABLE]
[OK] Plugin release [1.18]
[Debug] Found language file [hvp]
[OK] Write access check [/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle38/mod]

Validation successful, installation can continue

-------after I've clicked Continue button:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle38/lib/filestorage/zip_archive.php on line 253
In reply to Jason Hu

by Jason Hu -
update:
I've just mannually changed the max execution time in the php.ini file, restarted the MAMP server. then tried again.
now it works! !
In reply to Jason Hu

by Jon Bolton -
Just be aware that Moodle 3.8 is a development version and is not suitable for production sites. It should only be used for testing and development. You may encounter problems with third party plugins such as H5P that are only available for versions up to Moodle 3.7.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Also 3.8 is due for code freeze in October 2019 and release in November so it is very early days.