Any Idea on the Possibility of Hacking?

Any Idea on the Possibility of Hacking?

by Rafiq Muhammad -
Number of replies: 2

Dear all,

One of our IT users made a snapshot of our Moodle login page with image on top as shown in the attach picture. We have 6000+ users and our Moodle is being accessed almost 24x7. So far, none of our user reported seeing this. When I checked the site, there is no such image.

We are running Moodle 3.1x on Essential theme.

I am clueless if there were potential hacking. If it does, where and how it could possibly being done.

FYI, I have scanned the login.php, index.php file and no indication that the file has been modified recently. It is also unlikely a prank as it is coming from our parent company IT department.

Anyone who have any idea, kindly assist.

Thanks in advance.

Moodle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rafiq Muhammad

Re: Any Idea on the Possibility of Hacking?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Using the Web developer tools built into any web browser, you can edit the HTML of the page you are currently looking at, but that only affects what happens on your own computer, and it will all get reset if you just reload the page.

Actually, it is a very useful trick sometimes. I often do it when I am taking screen-grabs to go in a presentation, or if I want to mock-up some user-interface I am planning to implement.

But that could explain this screen-grab.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Any Idea on the Possibility of Hacking?

by Rafiq Muhammad -

Hi Tim,

I am aware of the built in web developer tool. My best guess is the same. However it is very unlikely that our IT staff would do that as a prank because the screen grab was sent to our network team to highlight a potential of hacking of our Moodle site. But upon checking, we couldn't find the same image on the site and none of the Moodle file shown any sign that it has been modified.