Anonymizing Data on Students

Anonymizing Data on Students

by Roger Domínguez Argemí -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everyone,

I have been checking the GDPR and the Privacy API documentation and I did not find any reference about anonymizing data on students.

Is it possible in Moodle 3.5.x? Please, could you share any documentation or experience around that scenario?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

RD

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Roger Domínguez Argemí

Re: Anonymizing Data on Students

by Zoran Jančić -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I also tried to find a way to anonymize or to delete user records from the database but found no solution yet on Moodle 3.6.3+ except manually changing the data directly in the database mdl_user table.

In reply to Roger Domínguez Argemí

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

The students' identity is not disclosed to the teacher? Are you serious?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Zoran Jančić -

Yes I am. When a student finishes his study program, we don't have the rights to keep his personal data in Moodle database anymore except if there is some legal document that is forcing us to keep the data. GDPR prohibits keeping the personal data that is not needed anymore. 

In reply to Zoran Jančić

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Depending on funding rules, you may have to keep data for an agreed period. Check with your funding agency.

You should have a DPO in the organisation who can tell you specifically what you do and don't need to keep.

In reply to Dave Perry

by Zoran Jančić -

Of course I already checked with our DPO. We're talking here about the data that we don't have to keep and that we are not allowed to keep according to GDPR.