Backup and restore... empty courses

Backup and restore... empty courses

by Gerardo Fallani -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I'm a new Moodle (LTS 3.1) user, on the platform I have Italian L2 courses which restart every three months.

At the end of each term, I need to backup what has been produced - e.g. forums' discussions, exercises ( quizzes' results/attemps and assignments submissions), and more in general all the students' data (of course I'm legally authorized to do it) .

I tried to backup the entire course and then reset it with the "reset course" function. But then I realized that the backup files don't contain any discussions, activity results, submissions, etc and that is a problem for me.

So far, I left the "old" courses on the platform (renamed & hidden, sort of "online & archived"), and used the backup files only to generate new (empty) courses.

Is there any other possible solutions? How can I backup the courses with all the necessary information inside, like discussions, activity results, submissions and students' data?

Thanks for you attention,

Regards.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerardo Fallani

Re: Backup and restore... empty courses

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Check site backup preferences/defaults.

Site administration => Courses -> Backups -> General backup defaults

Defaults are normally set to backup everything except logs and histories.

So would do full backup of a course once.

Then reset that course ... checking each setting to assure all student data is removed.  End up with a course ready to enroll new students then.

Hiding courses in a hidden category and nothing done to those means everything is there still, but making that an annual practice means site backups will grow, any database queries have much more to look through ... etc.  Student accounts in there, BTW, might auto expire if they haven't been used in X amount of time.  Moodledata/filedir also grows ... never seems to get smaller.

How much space do you have?   Unlimited?   Hard to imagine any hosting provider really means 'unlimited' space like we would like to define 'unlimited'. :|

2 cent advice ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken