Issues with tracking & gradebook with SCORM 1.2 in Moodle 3.5.1

Re: Issues with tracking & gradebook with SCORM 1.2 in Moodle 3.5.1

by Andrea Tountas -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Melanie,

Thank you so much for your reply! 

Unfortunately, creating the test in Moodle and having the client go back and re-edit all the course materials to remove the tests in the SCORM package isn't an option (yes, I did ask)   sad  If it were, I agree with you- I would MUCH rather create the quiz within Moodle which would basically solve all of these issues. 

I have actually tried literally every combination of settings within moodle.

You are correct- if you set "Force New" to Always, every launch is counted as an attempt- whether you take the quiz, or even actually start playing the SCORM package. If setting it to "When previously completed, pass or fail" it varies, depending on whether it's the first time you have launched the SCORM package (it seems to count every first launch as an attempt), and what your other settings are including your quiz performance.

The number of attempts was set as 2 in the SCORM package as well as in Moodle, but it seems to default to the Moodle settings if anything.  

One thing I did notice was that whether or not the grade showed up correctly in the grade book was related to slight setting differences.

However, all my settings for all the SCORM packages and (within moodle and articulate) are the same, and yet one SCORM grade will not show up in grade book. Has anyone had this issue with Moodle 3.5.1, and what are possible solutions??

In reply to Andrea Tountas

by Floyd Saner -

Andrea,

It is possible the problem is caused by the way some of the slides in that one module are configured. I have seen situations where a module was published to show 'completed' or 'passed' based on the number of slides viewed.  At least in Articulate Storyline, a slide is not considered 'viewed' until the slide timing bar times out.  In some slides the timing bar might be set for 10 or 15 seconds, when the content in the slide takes the viewer only 5 seconds to read.  The user clicks 'Next' before the timing bar reaches the end, and the slide is considered 'not viewed'.  This is just an example that demonstrates the complexities you can run into.

If you are using a score for completion are you certain that the module was published with the correct passing score, or that completion by score was correctly published?

Moodle has a SCORM debug tracing mode that might help you find the problem.  There is a checkbox titled, 'Activate API debug and tracing (set the capture mask with apidebugmask)' at the bottom of the SCORM configuration screen: Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > SCORM package.  Select that checkbox and save the setting.  When you open a SCORM module, a separate window will open where you can see the communication between your SCORM module and Moodle. Also note you can have this feature activated for specific users so it does not show for everyone. In the textbox below the debug checkbox, you can enter a username for which debugging can be activated, example for user myusername, you would type in myusername:.*  the colon period asterisk sequence after the username is important.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Andrea Tountas -

Hi Floyd,

Thanks so much for your response!

I don't believe that it requires a person to spend a specific amount of time or even view the entire SCORM.

As far as I know, there's no minimum set within the SCORM to pass, though it's set for a minimum of 70 within Moodle.

I'm going to attach some screenshots of the settings within Articulate in this and the next post...

Attachment launch_and_resume.png
Attachment Report_to_LMS.png

by Andrea Tountas -

I will try out some of your other suggestions tonight!

Attachment Failure_Options.png
Attachment Success_Options.png

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm really curious about the Passed/Incomplete vs Passed/Failed.  Have you tried Passed/Failed or Complete/Incomplete? I wonder if that is impacting grade reporting.

by Floyd Saner -

Andrea,

Thanks for the screenshots.  What settings do you have on the Articulate Tracking screen?  Are you tracking 'Slides viewed' or 'Quiz result'?  If 'Quiz result', do you have the correct 'Result slide' selected?

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)