GSOC 2019: Questions & answers area for prospective students

GSOC 2019: Questions & answers area for prospective students

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi! I am happy and proud to announce that Moodle has been again selected as a Google Summer of Code 2019 mentor organisation. We have a few interesting project suggestions to work on, including projects from mobile app and machine learning development.

I am opening this discussion thread as a place for prospective students to raise questions regarding the application process. Reply to this post to raise a new question. Thanks.

Please get familiar with the following documentation pages before asking a question here, to make sure it has not been answered there:

Moodle has been known for having quite high standards and expectations on their GSOC students and the quality of applications. We appreciate hearing from students with serious interest. Thank you for understanding.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: GSOC 2019: Questions & answers area for prospective students

by Ndubuisi Onyemenam -

Hello I am trying to setup the moodle developer environment using docker Module installation looks right from Terminal

The installation looks successful but I don't see any additional code in the code base, I was expecting the docker installation to import code from the code base, also navigating to localhost:8000 returns this 

Navigating to browser

Any help, I am trying to get familiar with the code base using this tutorial

In reply to Ndubuisi Onyemenam

by Ndubuisi Onyemenam -

So I have been able to resolve this issue, the problem was I skipped having the Moodle code cloned locally before moving to the Docker set up. Cloning the Moodle repo and following the instructions here  was All I needed. In case anyone is having issues I hope this helpsLocal set up successful

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ndubuisi Onyemenam

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good to see you sorted it out. Thanks for sharing the solution!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Monil Bhavsar -

Hello,

I am Monil Bhavsar, pursuing Computer Engineering from L.D. College of Engineering, India. I have decent knowledge of Web Technologies like HTML,CSS,PHP, JavaScript, AJAX , MySQL, MongoDB and had worked on many projects .

I would like to work on the idea of adding QR CODE feature as  a part of GSOC 2019. The idea is to add a QR CODE which refreshes after certain time to avoid false attendance and cheating  by sharing of QR Code.

Thanks.

In reply to Monil Bhavsar

by David Mudrák -

Hello Monil.

I have decent knowledge of Web Technologies like HTML,CSS,PHP, JavaScript, AJAX , MySQL, MongoDB and had worked on many projects .

Please make sure to include a proof in your submission - ideally links to your projects, contributions on github etc.

Good luck with the application.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mohammed R -

Hello,

I am applying for the "Attendance password rotation/expiry" project and have submitted a draft proposal via the platform. Is there a rough ETA as to when I can expect to get some feedback on my proposal?

Cheers!

In reply to Mohammed R

by David Mudrák -

Hello. And thanks for submitting your project.

We do not normally provide feedback on individual submissions. Your project proposal will be reviewed together with all others after the submission deadline. If it will be accepted, you will be notified after May 6 as per the GSOC timeline.