Impact Of Deleting A User & Re-Using The Vacancy

Impact Of Deleting A User & Re-Using The Vacancy

by Eric Yap -
Number of replies: 4

I am wondering if we can delete a user (student) from the MoodleCloud application, and what will the impact be on the courses in which that user has been enrolled in.

We are currently on the 100-user package and it is estimated in about 3 to 4 months' time we will hit the 100% quota. Courses run by us are not long - 3 months to 6 months on the average. And some students will not continue with us after they have finished their chosen courses though they can opt to continue with other related courses.

Can we delete such students from our users database and re-use the empty slots without breaking the courses that these students were enrolled in (in terms of grades and contributions from such deleted students)? Or would all information (grades & contributions) of such students be wiped clean as well?

Would appreciate guidance on this so that we can make decision whether to increase the quota when the time comes.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Yap

Re: Impact Of Deleting A User & Re-Using The Vacancy

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Eric,

As far as the user limit on MoodleCloud is concerned, once you delete a user, you can create a new one.

I'll leave it to someone more qualified than me to answer your question about what happens to grades after user removal.

Mathieu

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

I can confirm that if you delete a student, then their grades and contributions are also deleted.

However, you can prevent forum posts from being deleted if you manually delete the student via Site administration / Users / Accounts / Browse list of users and the setting 'Create automatic data deletion requests' (in Site administration / Users / Privacy and policies / Privacy settings) is NOT ticked. (If the setting is ticked, then the forum post content is removed.)

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Eric Yap -

Thanks, Helen, for the valuable input. That will help us plan our classes accordingly.

Cheers

Eric

In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Eric Yap -

Thanks, Mathieu. Appreciate the reply.

Cheers

Eric