Help for a poor student

Help for a poor student

by Stephen Catton -
Number of replies: 4

Hello people

I am a student working my placement year at Sparsholt College. I have been part of a team working to get Moodle off the ground and used by the teaching staff. My University uses Learnwise and I have been amazed at how much more communicative and flexible Moodle is (Incidentally I now know that they are dumping Learnwise in favour of Moodle). Because we are a land based college and so a lot of our courses are outside it has been difficult to enthuse our fellow academic colleagues it is use.

I have no experience of teaching and so I would be extremely grateful if anyone here might be able to offer some reasons why Moodle would be a good idea to them to use. Especially if we have any sceptics to user converts here. Perhaps a top 10 reasons.

Thanking you in advance

Stephen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Catton

Re: Help for a poor student

by Art Lader -
Hello, Stephen,

I think that everything you need is probably right here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=2784

This is also something you might want to look at:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Case_for_Moodle

Hope that helps. smile

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Stephen Catton -

Hello Art

Thanks a lot for your reply...... I have been trawling through the forums looking for the information but there is so much going on in here that I thought it might be easier just to ask the question.

I am looking for ways to encourage teaching staff to use Moodle and am having a hard time of it. They mostly see Moodle as extra work for them to do rather than a time saver. I am not a teacher and so I need help from teachers who are using it and having some positive experiences.

So far I have looked at Moodle to provide support (although not yet necessarily implemented) for the following:

• Teaching students (locally or remotely).
  • Students (web book marks, student-tutor conversations etc)
  • Staff admin usage (personnel learning plans, Business development etc)
  • Student's parents. (Time table, Home work, Attendance etc)

I would love to hear from people who have found benefits of using Moodle for the above or any other.

Cheers

Stephen. Sparsholt College UK.

In reply to Stephen Catton

by A. T. Wyatt -
Well, it is true that learning Moodle requires investing some time and, in some respects, may require an adjustment of your teaching philosophy!  For example, having the gradebook very tied in with with assignments.  I frequently have faculty members ask me why they can't just put something in the gradebook without also having to put at least an off-line activity into the topics.

So you are dealing with many things at once--change being the most important!  So not only do you have to get your teachers to see the benefits (each one for himself, because they will all be different), but also convince them that you are not going to let them sink or swim.  You also have to be sensitive to the "digital divide"; if students can only access the materials at school, that changes the types of materials and activities you might incorporate into your on-line learning space.  It also changes how much the system might be used and your expectations.  It is a long, slow process.

I would recommend to you the research done by Apple Computer.

(from p. 16)

We observed that teachers approach to the use of classroom technology evolves through a few orderly stages: entry, adoption, adaptation, appropriation, and invention. And we found that certain kinds of support help speed that evolution: mentors who are further along in the process, opportunities for reflection, and encouragement to question their beliefs about teaching and learning.

Stages                               Examples of what teachers do in this stage

Entry                                  Learn the basics of using the new technology.

Adoption                           Use new technology to support traditional instruction.

Adaptation                        Integrate new technology into traditional classroom practice. Here, they often focuson increased student productivity and engagement by using word processors, spreadsheets,and graphics tools.

Appropriation                  Focus on cooperative, project-based, and interdisciplinary workincorporating the
technology as needed and as one of many tools.

Invention                           Discover new uses for technology tools, for example, developing spreadsheet macros for teaching algebra or designing projects that combine multiple technologies.

There are many more findings and a great deal of addition research to be found at http://www.apple.com/education/k12/leadership/acot/library.html.
Okay, that is not what you asked for, but I think to be successful you have to work with a wholistic plan!  Realistic expectations are very important.  And technology is rarely a time saver, particularly at the beginning and for an inexperienced user.  It only saves time down the road if at all.  (I always find down the road, I change my course so much that it is almost like building it all over again).

Getting down to what I like about on-line course resources--

it is available 24/7 and in a format where students can access it and understand why they are accessing it when they are no longer in the room with me (i.e., there are instructions and structure there)

it relieves me of responsibilities and puts them on the student--I don't have to locate more copies of this, that, or the other.  I tell them to go to the web.

it gives me asynchronous tools I don't have in the classroom--instant message, email, forum for reflection; that means the students also have those tools!

I can create materials that appeal to students with different learning styles--video lectures, written handouts, links to interactive websites.  All organized, ready for them to use with no searching.  Efficiency matters for students too.

Students who are not in class, need more time, need more repetition have much more opportunity to interact with on-line materials than students who must be physically in class to get the information.  Not a substitute for an excellent face to face teacher, but a help when it isn't available.  I had 6 young girls on maternity leave the last semester I taught high school.  They could have gotten so much more if the home bound teacher had been able to bring them something more than the textbook!

Biggest reason for me?  I think about my courses all the time, not just at work!  If I am trawling around on the internet and find a great article, I can add it to my course RIGHT THEN.  No waiting, no messing with copy machines, and I can hide it or show it as appropriate.  I collect things for courses I am teaching, or courses in 'storage', all the time.  And everything is always organized.  It is accessible anywhere I have an Internet connection.  That aspect of a system like moodle is wonderful.  But it won't appeal to everyone!

You don't mention whether or not your school leadership is requiring an online presence for teachers.  If all teachers are required to do a certain amount from "above", that can also be a catalyst.

Sorry so long.  Hope some of it helped.  I do write from a university level experience now, but I taught high school (ages 14-18) for 5 years and elementary/jr. high (ages 5-13) for 6 years.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Stephen Catton -

Hello ATW

Thanks so much for your help... One can read from books and journals but it is so much better to have an experiance told to you from  real life. It is veru kind of you.

The College leadership, although enthusiastic, as yet are not pushing the teaching staff to use it so i have a bit of a selling job to do.... in fairness to them we are going through quite a lot of accreditation gathering (we have to make money for heavens sake smile ) so their minds arent on the VLE. However we are using Moodle for a Zoo keeper course where the students are all over the UK.

Sparsholt College is a Land based college based near Winchester UK, catering for 14 to 99 year olds.