error message that came out of the blue

by David Olson -
Number of replies: 7

Plugin dependencies check

Moodle Mobile tools
/admin/tool/mobile
  • Moodle 2017110800
  • webservice_rest (2017110800) Fails Unavailable

I just opened our version of moodle and received this message error and am totally lost on how to fix it. This is totally new to me.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Olson

Re: error message that came out of the blue

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Appears you have/running version 3.4.x of Moodle.

Please go to http(s)://yourserver/admin/settings.php?section=mobilesettings and see how that's set.

cat ./moodle34/admin/tool/mobile/version.php

shows:

defined('MOODLE_INTERNAL') || die();
$plugin->version   = 2017111300; // The current plugin version (Date: YYYYMMDDXX).
$plugin->requires  = 2017110800; // Requires this Moodle version.
$plugin->component = 'tool_mobile'; // Full name of the plugin (used for diagnostics).
$plugin->dependencies = array(
    'webservice_rest' => 2017110800

So it's related to mobile. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by David Olson -

cat ./moodle34/admin/tool/mobile/version.php

shows:

defined('MOODLE_INTERNAL') || die();
$plugin->version   = 2017111300; // The current plugin version (Date: YYYYMMDDXX).
$plugin->requires  = 2017110800; // Requires this Moodle version.
$plugin->component = 'tool_mobile'; // Full name of the plugin (used for diagnostics).
$plugin->dependencies = array(
    'webservice_rest' => 2017110800

I can see as you have shown the error and the need for a change in the mobile/version.php but I have tried to figure out how this change came about and why. I am not a programmer but an administrator for several moodle sites and want to prevent this from happening in the future as well as get this code fixed. Any suggestions?

David

In reply to David Olson

by Ken Task -

And when you went to

http(s)://yourserver/admin/settings.php?section=mobilesettings

as suggested earlier you saw what?

Think Moodle 3.4.x had a bug in it related.  Have a 3.4.highest for testing purposes and have no such issue.  But accessing the area above does produce some 'red' warnings about certificate not being valid ... uhhhh, not true.

If desiring to keep the 3.4.x you have, download locally the 3.4.x code, unzip locally, and compare what's in the unzipped archive with what's in one of your instances of Moodle on server.

On my server, error in a 3.5.x or 3.6.x. not present.

Fix?  Time to upgrade? smile

As far as why/how that happened ... sorry, no Vulcan Mind Meld possible on this end! :|

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by David Olson -

Ken,

I got the option to allow mobile access to the site. I checked it but it didn't hold. Went back to the same error as before. I posted below what I get.

If I opt to upgrade to 3.5 how is that done without losing the content already on platform.

david - still learning

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.17.40 AM.png
In reply to David Olson

by Ken Task -

What's missing is what is called a 'dependency' and is part of Moodle 3.4.x core code.  The question that comes to my mind is ... why is a part of core code missing?    Might stem from how one installed ... or even tinkering where one shouldn't tinkering.   Dunno.  No Vulcan Mind Meld possible here! smile

I see a 'upload zip' link ... am thinking that to repair this you could:

1. download the 3.4 code zip.

https://download.moodle.org/releases/security/

2. unzip it locally.

3. find the moodle/admin/tool/mobile directory in the unzipped folders.

4. zip just that directory ... the 'mobile'.

5. return to the area you show and upload the zip you created.

The question about upgrading to 3.5 ... and if all that content you've created will still be there ... should, because much of the info is actually in the DB and if one did upload files, those files are kept in moodledata.   So replacing the code directory with a 3.5.x copy and copying config.php file from the current site into the new 3.5 code (plus any addon code installed in the 3.4), should trigger an upgrade.

Before you do that, however, please know how to do a site backup ... code directory, db dump, and archive of moodle data.   As well as read:

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Upgrading

especially the part about requirements.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by David Olson -

Ken,

I have downloaded both available versions of the 3.4 moodle package and done as described in your earlier note to me.  Each time I received the same message:

Unavailable missing dependencies

×Not in the Plugins directorywebservice_rest.

Is it possible that the rest files are some where else. This is really frustrating to me but it should be straight forward. I have to get it solved. Is there something else I can do? I need that mind meld today if possible.

David

In reply to David Olson

by Ken Task -
All I know is that what's missing is supposed to be part of core code.

Expect a message via EMail from me.

'spirit of sharing', Ken