Theme forum rules

Theme forum rules

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Gareth - question about the rules (not related to this original post, but to your response so I hope it's okay to post this question here). 

When I use the search feature and find the thread I want to reply to, this causes me to bypass the main forum where the rules are pinned, and therefore don't always see the forum rules. Now, I do "know" them, but I wonder if other users are missing them for this reason. Do you think there is a way (easily) to get a link to the forum rules into each post that is in that forum. I don't know if that makes sense. I ask because we have a similar issue in my school- teachers search for a topic in the forum, finally find it, and then just post, forgetting the information that was pinned to the top of the forum (where I ask them what course they teach and such). If you think there is a non-complex solution to that situation, I'd love to hear and implement in my own Moodle. If not, then I will continue to remind them as you do here. 

Thanks !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Theme forum rules

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear John,

As you will see I've split your post as having two completely different topics in the same thread is confusing!  It falls within the category of 'Topic creep' -> docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle.org_forums_help#Topic_creep_-_recognize_when_you_are_asking_a_new_question.  So, with respect not really ok, but I do understand why you're asking.

The forum rules are at the top of the forum and used to be at the top of 'Add a new discussion topic' - odd - that used to work!  It used the class 'posting-intro' when attached to a tag in the markup of the forum description.

So I'm not sure of an easy way, but my gut says that there should be some mustache templates for the forum that you could possibly override in your theme.  Or you could use a modal (broken here) or some popup JS in the theme that is triggered by the a body class or id etc.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John, 

When I added the forum rules, I added them directly to the Theme Fourm header. This allowed the User to see the rules before they started To write and ask for help. 

Unfortunataly Users did not take any notice of these rules, so the recent changes Gareth made to make them more visible does not really work, so perhaps if we get a link to the rules in the area you see when creating a new discussion thread, we may get people to do as we ask.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jean-Roch Meurisse -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi there,

A king of "first post template" inserting automatically some content into the post box for new threads could be a solution (see attached img), but it's not implemented sor far I guess...

Cheers

Attachment Capture d’écran 2019-01-30 à 09.34.58.png
In reply to Jean-Roch Meurisse

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Perhaps a user tour could be created and shown when someone (first) tries to create a discussion or write an answer, pointing to the main rules.

Séverin