Frontpage coursebox editing

Frontpage coursebox editing

by daniel white -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

I'am trying to write some custom css to effect a particular coursebox on the frontpage using it's id, but cannot figure out the where to place the id to get the code to work. I am using the adaptable theme and covtiles selected, moodle 3.5.2+.

The code I am trying to change is:

#page .covtiles.panel .panel-body{

}

At which point do I place the id reference for example course-3.

Thanks,

Dan.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to daniel white

Re: Frontpage coursebox editing

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The course ID is only passed by moodle. Adaptable do not use this ID so you can't apply a custom style to a single course box depending of it.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I thought the course id class is in the body tag, so therefore at the start of the selector.

In reply to daniel white

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, 

In most circumstances you can make alterations to course pages based on the body ID as well as body  CLASSES. To find these you need to activate your browsers Web Developer tool which shows the body code of the page. 

These are seen in the body tag of the page you are wanting to restyle.

<body id=“page-site-index”classes=“pagelayout-frontpage ... etc“;

Usually the css selector ID selector comes first followed by the class.

For example:

#page-site-index.pagelayout-frontpage {  }

So depending on which page/pages you need to style you need those body ids and classes.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mary

PS: by the way the course I’d in this case course-3 is a body class selector NOT an ID in CSS terminology!!!

In reply to daniel white

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniel,

If I think this is what you are meaining about the course ID and in the course box as you call it the CSS selector in this case may well be what is known as an ATTRIBUTE selector and traeated differently than most css selectors.

Try the CSS Tricks page on Attributes HERE

https://css-tricks.com/almanac/selectors/a/attribute/

This explaints how it needs to be written. In this case.

Cheers

Mary

EDITED:

Here is a small example of what I mean and how you can alter some areas withing Moodle Themes. This is not Adaptable theme I am us-ng, it's Boost theme, but the principle is the same.

The CSS I added to the Raw SCSS area of the above named theme.looks like this:

[data-course-id="2"] { border: 6px groove #890; }

Hope this helps all the same?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by daniel white -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your help, from what you have suggested I have been able to effect certain elements of the course-box's by altering certain attributes as below:

#page .covtiles.panel .panel-body a[href*="2"]

{opacity: 0.5 !important;}

#page .covtiles.panel .panel-body .cimbox[style*="infect"]

{opacity: 0.5 !important;}

This works as a workaround for now but I am still struggling to just select a single course-box with course id, i'm not sure if this is something that can be done in the adaptable theme when using covtiles, because I looked at the boost theme and I could see the [data-course-id] attribute you mentioned when using course-boxes on the frontpage. I also changed the adaptable theme list options to the moodle default and I could see a course id attribute like this [data-courseid="6"], but when I switched back to covtiles, there was no attributes for course id. 

The workaround I have, works for me at the minute but if anyone does come across the way to do this by using the adaptable theme and covtiles then it would be useful to know.

Thanks,

Dan.

In reply to daniel white

by Mary Evans -

Hi Dan,

Did you see the EDITED part of my last comments and it was late last night I wrote it which gives the data element you need.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=381241#p1536966

Just try adding this as a single line in the Raw CSS section of Adaptable.

[data-course-id="2"] { border: 6px groove #890; }

Then you will see how it works...

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by daniel white -

Hi Mary,

I did see the edited part of your comment but as mentioned that code works for the boost theme and if I am running adaptable with the moodle default layout (for this you need to remove a hyphen so its [data-courseid="2"], but for some reason when using the adaptable theme with covtiles layout this data element does not work. I am not sure why this is the case, I couldn't see any reference to it when I was using inspect view, but I could when I was using the default layout.

Thanks,

Dan.

In reply to daniel white

by Mary Evans -

Ok...in that case I will check out using the Adaptable theme, Im in the middle of updating Win10 on my computer and it’s taking ages. 

With luck I may be able to come up with a solution for you.

Cheers

Mary