Moodle server resources for 1000+ users

Moodle server resources for 1000+ users

by Redzy Red -
Number of replies: 5

Hello to all,

I'm a little bit new to Moodle. I have been using it as a student a long time ago, but now as empty, as technical support in school, I have to learn and use it a little bit more smile

My question is, how much server resources do I need for 1000+ users to be on a Moodle at the same time, for example when they have an active test.

Is it 8 CPU, 32 GB RAM good, or do I need more resources?

Also, I will be thankful if you could provide me some server setting for best results. Thank you for support.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Redzy Red

Re: Moodle server resources for 1000+ users

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We don't know... or, if you prefer, it depends. 

It depends what these users are doing. How many will be logged on at once (for example)? It doesn't matter how many user accounts you have, it's what they are doing. 

This sort of question gets asked all the time - you should read through this forum for similar questions. You should also read Performance_recommendations

If you still have questions... we'll try to help.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

To expand on Howards comment, it depends on what your users are doing. Browsing content does not generally place a high load on a server. Uploading very large files or having dozens of people taking a quiz at the same time can put a high load. With your spec if 1,000 users all log in at the same time performance might be an issue, but that is an unlikely scenario, in reality with 1,000 users you would probably get 10's of simultaneous logins at once.   But as Howard says, read though the posts and ask more, we love our subject.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Redzy Red

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

While others have provided good info/links for you to review/study, I see a detail which might need 'special consideration' ... 'technical support in school'.   Is the 'school' a K12 entity where students/teachers will be using your Moodle in a F-2-F classroom ... 40 classrooms, 40 Teachers, +total number of students 1000+?

And then, of course, what those students would be doing .... all taking a quiz on Friday of every week?

A 32 Gig all in one box (web service + database) might handle it but then again if quizzes aren't broken apart into pages of questions, server might struggle.   Difference is usage -  asynchronous (like a higher ed entity - no F-2-F) vs synchronous (a k12 entity IN a F-2-F).

2 cent thought.

'spirit of sharing', Ken