Replacement for Active Quiz?

Replacement for Active Quiz?

by Ken Masters -
Number of replies: 11

Hi All

Now that Active Quiz has been discontinued, does anyone know of plans to replace it (with some enhancements, if possible) with any other tool?

Thanks

Ken

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Masters

Re: Replacement for Active Quiz?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My original Realtime Quiz plugin, which Active quiz is based on, is still maintained. It only works with custom multiple-choice questions and cannot use questions from the question bank (which is one of the main reasons why Active quiz was created), but it is available for all versions of Moodle from 1.9 to 3.6.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Ken Masters -

Hi Davo

Thanks very much for this.  There are two things I'd like to check on before asking our tech staff to implement:

1. The Active Quiz did not allow one edit the question after it had been saved.  (If I needed to edit it, I had to destroy the question, and then re-create it).  Does Realtime Quiz permit editing (much like one could edit a question in the normal Quiz)?
  2. The Active Quiz reporting is very limited - Displays onscreen the final result only (although it does get put into the grade book).  Does Realtime Quiz give similar (even if not as exhaustive) reporting as the Quiz?  In particular, I would like to see what each student scored for each question, the start time and end time, and allow me to download that report in .csv or xls format?  My aim is to use the report to track student participation across a two-hour session in class.  Even if the student got the answer wrong, I need to see that they attempted it.  Also, it will be "formative" for me to adjust my teaching and explanations each semester.
Thanks

Regards

Ken

In reply to Ken Masters

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ken - with Realtime quiz, you can edit the question after it has been attempted (which could make previous question results obsolete, if you are not careful).

The results reporting is not that extensive - it will show for every session how many students gave each answer, as well as a break-down, per question, of which students gave each answer, but it doesn't track the end time of the quiz session (just the start time) or exactly when each student to answered any given question (only that they gave an answer whilst the question was displayed). There is no CSV export option.

Most of these reporting features could probably be added fairly easily, but only if you have a developer on hand to do that (or if funding was available to pay me to do it during my working day, as I only do essential maintenance in my free time).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ken Masters -

Hi Davo

Thanks for this.

The editing is a great improvement (yes, I wouldn't edit after running it, it was more that I needed to edit while previewing before class, something the Active Quiz did not permit.  Strange.

On the reporting.  That sounds fair enough - having the start time would tell me about when they arrived and got started, and individual answers would be enough to get an idea of their particiaption.  I could then at least print to pdf for my own off-line records.

Unfortunately, we have neither developers nor budget sad.

I'll start the process of requesting our tech people to implement, and keep you posted.

Thanks

Ken

In reply to Ken Masters

by Davo Smith -

Note that the start time is the start time for the session - i.e. the time when the teacher clicked on 'start quiz', not the start time for when any student logged in.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ken Masters -

Hi Davo

OK, thanks - from the questions that they've answered, though, I can still at least get an idea of their participation.  Also, the Moodle logs will tell me when they accessed the quiz.

Regards

Ken

In reply to Ken Masters

by Ken Masters -

Hi Davo

One more question: Does Realtime Quiz place the the final score in the gradebook? (The documentation and video don't mention that)

Thanks

Regards

Ken

In reply to Ken Masters

by Davo Smith -

I had to check, because I couldn't remember.

Unfortunately, no, Realtime quiz does not work with the gradebook at all (in theory, not all that hard to add, but would need time to do so).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Re: Replacement for Active Quiz?

by umesh chavan -
Hello Davo,
Thanks for the concept and plugin of Real Time Quiz.
I have tried both RTQ and Active Quiz (AQ), on two different shared hosted server. I have two different moodle instances hosted on 2 different servers.
On one server it works well, but my this hosting is very slow hence do not want to use.
On the other hosted server tried both RTQ and AQ but it does not work, as it says "waiting for server", and after long time page goes off, on server side and user(student) side. Then it takes time to reload.

What could be the reason ??? I tried tweaking PHP.INI through phpmyadmin..like increasing memory, max execution time etc. it does not work.
Please help

Umesh
In reply to umesh chavan

Re: Re: Re: Replacement for Active Quiz?

by Davo Smith -
Umesh,

I can't really offer any suggestions here. The problems sound like they are related to the server configuration, but without live access to your servers and time set aside to investigate (neither of which I have), I don't have any insight that can help.

When I last checked a couple of weeks ago, my plugin was working on a local install.