Assigned Roles not showing correctly in Course Description

Assigned Roles not showing correctly in Course Description

by Dan Jeffries -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone. Hope you had a great Xmas and looking forward to 2019!

I'm tweaking a few things on our site and have noticed some weird behaviour.

I am launching a course and want to show two roles in the Course Description: Facilitator and Module Tutor:

So I have selected these under Course Contacts in Site Admin > Appearance > Courses. Note the default though; I don't know why it's showing that.

However when I look at the course description, I get this:

You'll see that there are two names against Facilitator. The first one is correct, the second name, however, has not been assigned this role (they have been assigned 'Module Tutor').

So I was expecting to see:

Facilitator: XXXXXXX
Module Tutor: YYYYYY

Any ideas with what I'm doing wrong? 

Using Moodle 3.5.1+ (Build: 20180824) and Lambda theme.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Jeffries

Re: Assigned Roles not showing correctly in Course Description

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Usually the displayed Role is that of Teacher. I would suspect that both Roles are based on the Teacher Role, so both Roles are being displayed as Facilitator. 

The Question could be then what are the actual duties of both Roles? Do they both have a Teacher Role? Can they both add and extract Resources and Activities? Do they both enroll and unenroll students? Do they both need to edit courses? I would suggest that you split the Roles and create a new Tutor Role based on the Non-Editing Teacher Role.

That's the best I got for you I am afraid, but there is no guarantee that this will work either. The Teacher Role is ubiquitous and at the end of the Course Administration Page, there is a block that allows you to provide your name for Roles, for example, 'Your Name for Teacher' to what you might respond, "Facilitator".  'Your name for Non-Editing Teacher' might a "Module tutor". That might make a difference, but I've never tried anything like this. 

Good luck.

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think this would be a theme issue - seeing as Lamda is a paid theme, I would start there.

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Dan Jeffries -

Thank you both.

Yes, I just had a reply from the Lambda developer and it's a bug within the theme. Brain too tired to consider testing this on a dev site! Silly me.

Colin - the two separate roles are for logistical reasons. The Facilitator role is a re-named 'teacher' role and the Module Tutor role is a duplicated non-editing teacher role. As we these are two specific roles within the course and as I don't want my module tutor to have editing rights, it makes sense.

But now we know it's the theme, so happy days smile

Thanks again

dan

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thanks Dan, yes, that is how I would have set it up anyway, so glad to know I was at least heading in a workable direction in my ideas about course design. A theme bug? Wow, would have struggled for hours on that one...