A problem with marking up languages in titles for screen readers

A problem with marking up languages in titles for screen readers

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have just run up against a problem and I cannot yet think of any way to solve it, so I am asking here because you are all very clever.

Consider this situation: Suppose you have a course that is written in English, but is about the French languages. In that case, you might want a page with Title: 'Conjugation of the verb Être'.

Now, if you care about accessiblity, then for screen readers that needs to be marked up as 'Conjugation of the verb <span lang="fr">Être</span>'. (Because the course is in Engllish, there will be a lang="en" attribute on the <html> tag.)

The other use-case we have to remember (so we don't break it) is the Moodle multi-lang filter. If you had a course bilingual in English and Russion, then you might have a page titled '<span lang="en" class="multilang">cat</span><span lang="ru" class="multilang">кошка</span>', and that works becuase all headings are fed through format_string, which applied the multilang filter, and so that will end up as either 'cat' or 'кошка', and the screen-reader will prounouce that correctly because that language selected will match the overall language of the page. This is all good.

But, unfortunately one part of the format_string code is to always call strip_tags - $CFG->formatstringstriptags is true by default. This is quite sensible from a security / preventing XSS attacked point-of-view. Unfortunately, it means that the mixed language in headings case cannot possibly work - unless we can think of something very clever.

Please apply your genius.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: A problem with marking up languages in titles for screen readers

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think you can make it work, unless you change format_string (assuming that $CFG->formatstringstriptags is true). The call to strip_tags is performed after all filtering is done. So no matter what you could do with a hypothetical filter that produced the HTML tags needed by screen readers, they would be removed by strip_tags.

If tag stripping was performed before running the filters[1] , you could use a special syntax (not removed by strip_tags) for the screen reader language. And use a (new) filter to produce the HTML tags needed.

[1] I haven't thouroughly analysed the consequences of this with respect to XSS and such.

Saludos.

Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

Re: A problem with marking up languages in titles for screen readers

by Tim Hunt -

Thank you for backing up my conclusion that this can't be fixed without changing format_string. And as you say, that is something that could only be done with very careful analysis.