SCORM Alert and 1.2 Standard mode

SCORM Alert and 1.2 Standard mode

by Salam Sarieddine -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I'm using Moodle 3.3.2 and all courses are SCORM 1.2. Some clients get this alert "SCORM detected that the internet connection is unreliable..." so in some cases where the internet isn't that well or is interrupted, progress isn't being reported back to the database as they should be.

My question is any workaround regarding the alert? i don't want to hide it i understand its importance in notifying the users however can we increase the time before Moodle decides that the connection is unreliable and the progress won't be saved? If no what other options do we have?

There is an option in SCORM settings "SCORM 1.2 standard mode", would leaving this option unticked help with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Salam Sarieddine

Re: SCORM Alert and 1.2 Standard mode

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sometimes this happens when you reach a suspend data limit (I really don't know what that means other than that it causes problems)--there is a discussion here about fixing it that I won't bother retyping, mostly from Dan M. It solved my problem when this happened to me a lot about 15 months ago...

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Salam Sarieddine -

Hey Melanie,

Thanks for that, i already came across the forum you linked however i haven't tried it yet since my problem only comes from areas with really slow connection, in all cases i'll try turning it off and check the results with the clients.

by Salam Sarieddine -

Hello again,

I tried unticking the "enable SCORM 1.2 Standard mode", but what i noticed is that the progress resets evertime the user opens a SCORM module. Example: if a user reached 100% completion on a module and attempts to open that module again and review from the beginning and let's say he/she reaches 30%, the progress will override the 1005 and show 30% instead which is pretty confusing for reports and didn't help regarding connectivity issues.

Just thought i'd post my results here for reference.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

You could change your Attempts conditions- so after the course is completed the student could launch the content again - without disrupting their progress and grade.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Salam Sarieddine -

Hello,

I already have the attempts set unlimited attempts and attempts grading set to maximum grade so it shouldn't be changing however it is once i untick the SCORM 1.2 Standard mode.

My only issue is that in areas around the world with slow internet connections the progress doesn't save correctly if they get the SCORM alert i mentioned above.

I tried increasing the checknet.js file in moodle to 15000 instead of 4000 and 10000 so i don't know if this would help.

by Melanie Scott -

Do you have it set to force new attempt?  Also, force completed and force auto commit and force auto continue can throw a wrench in the works.

by Salam Sarieddine -

Force new attempt, force completed and auto continue are set to no, auto commit is set to yes since if i understand it correctly, in case for some reason the SCORM doesn't communicate with Moodle then auto commit will return SCORM status / progress.

by Melanie Scott -

Just a thought--when they get that message, it really means that connection has been interrupted already.  Not that it is a possibility, that it is a reality.  I always told my staff that when they got that message they should close the module immediately and reopen it.  Because it won't remember after.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)