Moodle a mount drive on amazon s3 or any other storage solution

Moodle a mount drive on amazon s3 or any other storage solution

by Daniel Garcia -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, 

I have over 50GB of videos, audios and images that are going to be used in my moodle site. 

I thought to use an offload to store all that data to an amazon s3 bucket, but I have not seen that solution available. 

Does anyone has had a similar problem or can come up with a solution?

Thanks you so much in advance for any recommendations. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Garcia

Re: Moodle a mount drive on amazon s3 or any other storage solution

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I've never used them but doesn't AWS have some specific service for media?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle knows many kinds of https://docs.moodle.org/de/Repositories. For example to upload directly, not going through Moodle, there is the https://docs.moodle.org/en/File_system_repository.

But storing media is not the problem, the delivery is the problem. Which comes down to the same thing Howard mentioned, i.e. specialized video services.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Daniel Garcia -

First of all thank you Visvanath Ratnaweera and Howard Miller. There is a plugin in Moodle: Amazon S3 links. Using moodle media player I was able to "streaming" directly into moodle. I was hoping there was a way to connect the moodledata file with Amazon s3  but couldn't make it work. The only downside is that I have to upload the media directly to AWS bucket. Then insert media via repositories in my moodle's questions, posts, etc. 

Right now AWS weights +30GB on media, but my moodle and wordpress install is only 1.5GB. I am expecting my students to have a better response time since my server won't be doing all the job. 

If anyone needs help with this let me know. 

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Daniel,

I was hoping there was a way to connect the moodledata file with Amazon s3  but couldn't make it work

did you ever play w/ https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-tool_objectfs ?

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Daniel Garcia -

Hi Matteo, 

Thank you very much for the information. I am using moodle 3.5 and couldn't make it work. I hired a freelancer after my 3 days of trying, and couldn't make it work either. I downgraded to moodle 3.0 and it worked like a charm, but I don't want to downgrade so I'll stick to 3.5 and uploading files to AWS manually as matter of fact found software that does it automatically from the PC which if something it's better. 

Thanks again for your time.