Moodle on Slack for developers

Moodle on Slack for developers

by Lawrence Lagerlof -
Number of replies: 8

There is any active Moodle community on Slack? Maybe focused on development?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lawrence Lagerlof

Re: Moodle on Slack for developers

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Not that I know of, but there's a Moodle Dev Chat channel on Telegram: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Chat
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Conn Warwicker -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Never heard of Telegram. I'd be up for a Discord server if anyone else uses that.

In reply to Conn Warwicker

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The Telegram channel has a lot of core and community developers there, IMO it would be good to keep the discussion in one place rather than fragmenting across different services (this doesn't have to be Telegram, but it is at the moment).

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Lawrence Lagerlof -

Interesting, but this community is not focused in helping others developers. If you have a moodle programming question, probably you aren't welcome.

Maybe we should create a Slack developer community to discuss, publish solutions and help other developers if possible. A more friendly environment for the new and experienced Moodle developers. Something more dynamic than a Forum?

by Davo Smith -

These forums are a good place for Moodle programming questions and already have quite a big community of experienced developers. The Telegram chat room is pretty open to dev questions, just not requests for general Moodle usage support.

I can't immediately see the benefit of setting up a new rival communications channel, especially when there are two existing channels with good buy-in from experienced devs.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Lawrence Lagerlof -

Oh, ok. When I had read "Open discussion for Moodle Developers worldwide. Please do not use this channel for support questions", I thought you couldn't ask programming question there. Thanks.

In reply to Davo Smith

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

I too agree. This is the best place to find different solutions related to a query. Whenever we have any problem we use to search here and got the solution within few minutes. Whether it is related to front end settings or a code change.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"this community is not focused in helping others developers"

I would have to disagree with that comment quite strongly! The Moodle community as a whole is very focused on helping each other and support. Choosing the right/most appropriate channel to request that support in is, however, an important part of asking for the help.

The Telegram channel appears to be mainly focused around ideas and developer discussions (although tbh when I was on it more often it was so active I had to pull back to get some 'proper' work done, so I may be wrong there :D) whereas the forum community is very strongly focused on support, answering questions and providing help, whatever your level of expertise.

"Something more dynamic than a Forum" is not always appropriate for providing support.

Many people come to the forums and will search and find answers that people have asked before, maybe even alternative solutions where someone has found a better way than that presented originally. It also enables developers from around the world to respond asynchronously and users to get answers and responses even when the best person to answer those queries is in a vastly different time zone. A more 'dynamic' solution would lose both of those strengths, relying on people being available to answer the queries in a much more 'chat like' environment, and losing the ability to search for existing solutions, meaning the same question is likely to get asked and answered multiple times.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)