by Jari Vilkman -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

Can you explain mod_bigbluebuttonbn version 2.2.6 (2017101014) settings;

1. When you create a new BBB-activity on course you can choose instance type

• Room/Activity with recordings
  • Room/Activity only
  • Recordings only

What is the difference between these settings?

2. Under "Activity/Room settings"-topic you can choose "Session can be recorded" Why is this setting here if instance type dictates that the session can be recorded? Or do you need both:

• "Room/Activity with recordings"
  • "Session can be recorded" 

before you can record the session?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jari Vilkman

Re: BBB instance type explanation needed

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Urpo,

Very simple.

Room/Activity with recordings, is the normal and regular room we have had since BigBlueButtonBN version 2.0. Meaning an instance that can be used for joining sessions that may be recorded. If they are and have recording linked to them, the recordings are shown at the bottom.

Room Activity only, similar to the first one, BUT with no recordings. This instances won;t give the users even the possibility of recording the session. It is normally used for give students an space for collaboration with no need to be worried about space or the content they recorded. If an existen room is changed to this type, the existent recordings will remain in BBB but they won't be shown.

Recordings only, Since the inception of BigBlueButtonBN version 2.2, the plugin named RecordingsBN that was used for showing all the recordings in a course, has been phased out. The reason for that is that there was too many duplicated code and it is always more difficult to maintain more than one plugin. Specially when they have similar functionality. So, In order to have an instance for showing all the recordings in one course you select this type.

You can also use this type if you want to show only one recording (or a small set of them) by importing recording from another instance in the same course, or even in a different one.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,

JF

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jesus Federico

by Jari Vilkman -

Hello,

Thanks for answering my first question. If I use Room/Activity with recordings do I still need to choose also Session can be recorded -checkbox ? If so don't you think this is redudant now when you can choose this with the room type?

In reply to Jari Vilkman

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers
Well, I think you have your response already but anyways, I'll give you a use case :D.

Lets say a teacher wants to have a room with recordings for student collaboration showing a recording from a different course but only want them to have meetings that  should not be recorded. You may argue that students won't have access to start/stop recordngs anyways, but they could if you want to give them moderator capabilites.

I know, the convinations are endless, but this is the thing, this plugin has been growing in features and capabilities based on user requests. What does't make much sense to you may be the only way to solve someone else problem.

My advice is always to look for the settings that will work for you particular use cases and try to set them up by default, this way your users don't have to be worried for too many combinations.

I would say that in your case, if you prefer no to see the checkbox but still want to have all the meetings with the option for being recorded, add this to your config.php

$CFG->bigbluebuttonbn['recording_default'] = 1;

$CFG->bigbluebuttonbn['recording_editable'] = 0;

I hope this helps.

JF

Average of ratings: Useful (1)