Moodle freezes with thousands of sections

Re: Moodle freezes with thousands of sections

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

True totally safe on a clone of production.   Agreed.

OP has used the term 'production' which suggest there is a test site that is a clone of production.   Been my experience, however, that the test site, after a period of time, isn't the same as production any more - moodle version slightly behind, courses also, etc.  It more than likely doesn't have the DB/course issue.  And might have to undergo the same tweaks as performed on production to get to certain points.

So to make sure the test site is in the same condition as production, OP will need to clone it again ... everything ... including moodledata.

Working with a database that is a clone of the DB that has issues on production server is in the same environment, under the same FQDN, etc., etc.   It the edits to the test DB fail for some reason ... it's just the DB itself.   Code hasn't changed, apache service hasn't changed, etc., etc.

Therefore, me thinks, shorter time to resolution of the problem is clone the DB on production and work with that DB clone.

OP has options. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Susana L. -

You have a point! Upgrades can fail... even automated backups.

Trying it first on a cloned DB, the plan is to update Moodle DB to delete all the sections from the course, except the '0' section, and then, through web interface, I will try to delete the course...

I'll get back with results.
Thank you all for your input!

In reply to Susana L.

by Susana L. -

The course is deleted!

Tested it first on a cloned server and then did the same on production environment. Deleted the course using web interface with no incidents.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm Food for thought Ken and I must admit, hadn't thought of it that way. It is likely there will be slight variations between the two that might influence an outcome, but, lucky me for a change, hasn't happened yet. But I will keep this in mind so if I have to do it again, clone the whole thing, not just use my test Moodles...