Export course settings to file

Export course settings to file

by Tim Walker -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, I am using Moodlecloud 3.5.1 and would like to know if there is a way to export all course configuration settings to a file (txt, html, etc...).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Walker

Re: Export course settings to file

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moving to MoodleCloud forum...

Doesn't MoodleCloud support backup and restore?

In reply to Tim Walker

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Why, might I ask?

Right now, one can "Expand All" and print to PDF, if all that you want is to document the course's settings.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Walker -

Thanks for the quick reply Rick.  I am new to Moodle and want to be able to export a course' configuration to file for documentation and comparison purposes.

By "expand all" I assume you mean expanding each setting in the course design view?

smile

Thanks again,

Tim

In reply to Tim Walker

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Tim,

Create a backup of your course. This will give you a ".mbz" file (which is really a zip file). In there, you'll find an xml "description" of the course under course/course.xml. There is more to a course, but that's the basic configuration of it, in a machine-readable format. You might prefer printing a PDF of the course "edit settings" page, as Howard suggested above.

I'll be annoying and point out there's no such thing as "Moodlecloud 3.5.1". All MoodleCloud sites are upgraded to the latest Moodle version as soon as possible after a release. All sites were upgraded to 3.5.2 last week.

Mat

In reply to Tim Walker

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes (see attachment).

However, I take back my suggestion to Print to PDF.  It appears that the PDF doesn't capture everything that is seen.  I tried several browsers, with no luck.

I did have luck with SnagIt (see attachment.)

I also tried what Mat suggested.  Yep, it works, but takes some interpretation.  (see attachment).

Attachment Expand All.jpg
Attachment expand-collaps.jpg
Attachment xml course.jpg