Can i use the glossary feature to email my students one word a day. Basically, i would like to send a "word of the day" to my students and have the word and definition come from the glossary.
Can this be done?
as far as I know you can't, but you can add the RSS feed to add the dictionary.com web site and place word of the day (http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/wotd.rss) here is the RSS feed.
Here is one possible solution that does not require any alterations to the moodle code:
- Set up a Forum called 'Word of the Day'
- set it so that all students are automatically subscribed to this forum
- Turn on the 'Glossary Auto-Linking' Filter
- Post to the Forum; in the post include your 'word of the day', which is a word in your glossary
- As long as 'Glossary Auto-Linking' Filter is on, and the option, 'This entry should be automatically linked' has been checked, then the word when clicked on will take your students to the relevant section of the glossary.