Scorm and multiple gradebook entries

Scorm and multiple gradebook entries

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have a client using Articulate.  Due to some issues with the scorm, I set it to force new attempt each time.  I have since noticed that it is now creating separate entry in the gradebook for each new attempt - is this the expected behavior?  Also, on some of the packages, the attempt grade is not passing to the scorm grade so I am having to adjust weights to exclude the scorm grade so that the overall grade is not divided by two and hence making the student fail...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Scorm and multiple gradebook entries

by Floyd Saner -

Oh, Emma.  The quandaries we run into with SCORM. I've never seen the action you describe. I'm also in the middle of sorting issues with SCORM packages, albeit ones that were created many years ago and are in SCORM 2004 with Flash.  

Knowing you, I presume you have checked all the following, but here are some suggestions.

1. Run the SCORM package in SCORM Cloud and see how it performs there. (As an aside note, SCORM Cloud has a dispatch option that lets you create a SCORM 1.2 activity in Moodle and connect that to a SCORM 2004 package in SCORM Cloud).
  2. Try different settings in Moodle for 'Attempts Grading' to save (highest, average, first, last). 
  3. Set the Grading Method to 'Learning Objects'
  4. Try different settings on 'Auto-commit' and 'Mastery Score Overrides Status'

I find there is a lot of trial and error in getting the correct SCORM activity settings.

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Floyd.  When I look at Scorm cloud, it looks like the free option only allows 50mb and the packages are over 200Mb - or am I in the wrong place?  When you say that you have never seen this action, are you referring to the multiple grade entries?

by Floyd Saner -

Emma,

Yes, SCORM Cloud has a fee for large files and production use, but the fees are quite reasonable. 

What I have never seen is a SCORM activity creating multiple, separate items in a grade book.  I just tried that in one of my test courses and multiple, separate items are not being created when new attempts are made.

What is SCORM reporting back to Moodle - a numeric score, or a status such as pass/fail or complete/incomplete?

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Emma Richardson -

Ha, I finally figured this out.  Client had not followed directions and had imported existing grades from old site and not mapped them to the scorm grade item.  So it is not the scorm creating the entries at all!  Phew!  Thanks for answering Floyd, it really helped to know that was not something that was meant to happen!  Hope all is well with you - great to see you this summer!

by Floyd Saner -

Those things you were never told about always get you!  I'm glad you figured out the problem. I was totally baffled at how a SCORM activity could be creating new graded items in the grade book.  It's always good to see you and share a brew!  I'll be back in Helena next year. Randy and I are planning a workshop proposal on IOMAD.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Emma Richardson -

Excellent - I will probably attend that...unless they have me doing something else!  I am already thinking about my side trip!  Are you going to the Denver Moot?