Does Moodle Meet My Requirement

Does Moodle Meet My Requirement

i le Eoin Heffernan -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, 

I'm currently looking for an LMS or something similar that satisfies the below requirements. If you could let me know if Moodle satisfies all or any of the below that would be great thanks.

I do not have Moodle at present so I would be buying it if it does. We currently operate on Windows 7. 

1. Online system where warehouse SOP’s are stored/recorded and can be tested to show an understanding of them 

2. Between 60 – 100 users

3. Individual logins – not all with Fyffes email address, most will be personal.

4. Ability to schedule trainings for people and send out links to training automatically via email 

5. Upload historical data onto system to keep track of what has been done to date. Pre system. 

6. Ability to record training sessions not performed online such as Forklift licence or manual handling 

7. Quiz facility where we can assess people individually and prove they have an understanding of the material

8. Range of reporting facilities such as by individual, by group or by status (completed training or incomplete). 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eoin Heffernan

Re: Does Moodle Meet My Requirement

i le Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. The short answer is yes, you can make Moodle meet these requirements (although I confess I don't know what Warehouse SOPs areata tele )

You don't have to "buy" Moodle if you have the technical means to set it up yourself (but our officially accredited Moodle partners will do it for you if you engage and pay them)

Moodle can be used with as many users as your set up will allow - sometimes thousands and thousands , as is the case with some major universities.

In short, have a read of the documentation About Moodle FAQ and also take a look at our commercial site https://moodle.com/.

If you want more specific information then there is a contact form on that site: https://moodle.com/contact/

i le Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'll have a go...

1. Online system where warehouse SOP’s are stored/recorded and can be tested to show an understanding of them 

No idea what "warehouse SOP" means.

2. Between 60 – 100 users

Yes. That's a trivial number of users. 

3. Individual logins – not all with Fyffes email address, most will be personal.

Yes. Fyffes == Bananas?? You can use any email address you like

4. Ability to schedule trainings for people and send out links to training automatically via email 

It's not primarily a system for organising teaching. More providing it. But there are activities that can be persuaded to do this. 

5. Upload historical data onto system to keep track of what has been done to date. Pre system. 

Yes. You can upload grades into the Gradebook. 

6. Ability to record training sessions not performed online such as Forklift licence or manual handling 

Yes. You can include videos, SCORMs and the like. 

7. Quiz facility where we can assess people individually and prove they have an understanding of the material

Yes

8. Range of reporting facilities such as by individual, by group or by status (completed training or incomplete). 

Sort of. Depends on exactly what you need.

The best thing you can do is to download Moodle or Get a MoodleCloud account and spend some time having a look. If you have an specific questions after that then fire away - we'll do our best to help.

In reply to Howard Miller

i le Eoin Heffernan -

Thank you Howard. 

A 'warehouse SOP' is a standard operating procedure document or a work instruction that is used in a warehouse. 

I have a moodle account and have spent a few hours playing around but at this stage I'm looking for a definitive answer before I invest more time. Is my best option to ring a service partner or is there an other route. 

i le Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As Moodle is open source it is not "sold" as such you'll struggle to find someone to evaluate your requirements "for free". 

A Moodle Partner should be able to provide services to evaluate your needs.

i le Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

While Mary and Howard have given good advice ... 2 cents worth here ...

First, Windows 7 ... isn't server ... you might be making reference to the chosen user/workstation operating system.   Moodle is a true server application thus best hosted on true server hardware/connectivity.

Second ... while you have provided what you'd like to do with an LMS, consider that getting it up  and running is usually 'tip of the iceburg' .... any LMS.

Towards the second ... will you be the 'Moodle Master' ... or primary Admin?   Will that role be a 'primary hat' or a 'secondary hat'?   Do you have the time that might be required? or will that role be delegated to someone else?

There are several things one might need to ask a provider of whatever you choose ... things like updates/upgrades, backups (that's at 2-3 levels ... server itself ... site ... +  courses) ... and, depending upon how the training is to be presented to users (lots of videos?  scorms? etc.) the consideration of space/resources.   Granted one doesn't know what one doesn't know ... but any online training usually grows (if it takes off/flies) ... that growth needs to be anticipated as much as possible - if possible.

All this to say, it might be well worth your time to 'tinker' some more as investigation might lead to discoveries of things like resources/space/hosting, etc..

LIke I said ... 2 cents worth ... ata

'spirit of sharing', Ken

i le Georgios Tyrakis -
I have similar requirements for my students and the short answer is yes, it should be able to accommodate your needs. Why don't you try experiment with it? I just went for it.