Run my Moodle from anywhere

Run my Moodle from anywhere

by Φωτης Φαρμακης -
Number of replies: 5

I set up and install moodle (3.5.1)in xubuntu(16.04lts) machine. How can i run my site from anywhere, i mean different pc. I have to do it with public ip (i run it from localhost now).Is a project for my college.

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Φωτης Φαρμακης

Re: Run my Moodle from anywhere

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

A PC is not a server! You should not run your college Moodle site from a pc. You need to get a real server. Otherwise you WILL run into problems and capacity issues and you will eventually lose student data. Not to mention that the user experience for your students will be terrible. The students will hate Moodle. That will impact their learning. And you'll look like a fool...

How many students does your college have who need to use Moodle? Find out what requirements the college has before you attempt to build a server or get external hosting.

If you're starting off small (with just a few courses and students) then a good way to start is with the free package from https://moodlecloud.com/. That can be upgraded as your needs increase. Then, when you get really big, you can upgrade to a solution from one of the https://moodle.com/partners/ companies.

Unless you want to host the Moodle site yourself...
But then you need to do a lot of preparation and technical stuff to build and test the server. And you need to do backups and maintenance regularly once the site is up. Do you have people to do that work?

If you don't know how to link your Moodle server to a public ip then you are probably also going to face a lot of other challenges too.

Make sure you don't ignore the security aspects of self-hosting a Moodle site, else you will eventually get hacked!

Do you need the site to be available 24 hours / 7 days a week? If so you need to plan for that. When will you do esential maintenance? What about "high-availability" for when your little server is offline? Can you afford the down-time?

Can your college afford to self-host?
Compare the self-hosting cost with a cost of a hosted solution then decide. Self-hosting your own Moodle site isn't free! There are running costs like hardware, electricity, etc...

(And no, this isn't an ad for commercial hosting services! smile )
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Φωτης Φαρμακης -

Thank you man, i really appreciate all the info that you give to me! I'm a student and i have this project to create a moodle site for some courses and users.I will check the sites that you send me !

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

You need to explain what "run my site from anywhere" means in detail. Do you mean, you connect your Moodle machine to the LAN of the classroom and then others in the class access your Moodle? Or, do you ask the school IT to connect your Moodle machine to the school LAN and users access it within the school premises? Etc.

Or, did you mean users _access_ your Moodle from anywhere in the Internet?

by Albert Ramsbottom -

If this is a markable project for your exams or course work then you could just install it locally and use your local install to show your teacher/lecturer that you have installed Moodle and have built a few courses

XAMPP, maybe and then download moodle and stick it in the webservers root and install moodle

But remember this wont be available on the internet and will need to be shown locally to whoever needs to see/mark/judge it

Albert

by James Steerpike -

50 users or less? Use MoodleCloud.

Otherwise pick up a Linux VPS. A 2 GB ram version can run less than $5 a month and gives you a public IP. They are barebones but you already installed Linux so you just need to get used to the command line.

Too hard? Then pay for commercial services.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)