Mobile app 3.5 SSO

Mobile app 3.5 SSO

by Mike Nodding -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, we had an issue connecting via SSO from the app today. App version 3.5 on android. connecting to 3.3.6 in production and 3.4.3 in our impending upgrade environment.

We get a 404 when the app opens a browser window to authenticate - url is /local/mobile/launch.php?service=local_mobile.

Trouble is we never got rid of local_mobile once we moved past 3.2 and it appears that now needs to be removed for the native auth to work. We removed local mobile in our 3.4 env at least at SSO now works ok there.

When we had a look at the local mobile repo we found branches for 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 so assumed there was some reason to keep it active, but looking at it more closely it appears that's not the case. Just to clarify, is there no reason at all to keep local mobile in > 3.3 versions? 

cheers

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Nodding

Re: Mobile app 3.5 SSO

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I seem to be having a similar problem, we're running Moodle 3.4 with the local_mobile plugin installed, when I log in via SSO it tries to go to /local/mobile/launch.php even though that script doesn't exist.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mark,

That finding by Ralf Krause is correct here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-2441?focusedCommentId=626169&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-626169.

Remove the local_mobile plugin. Then, it works all out (and the legacy app still works, too).

Best,
Luca

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Luca, but since we're running Moodle 3.4.3, wouldn't removing local_mobile lose functionality required by version 3.5 of the app?

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Mike Nodding -

Hi, it certainly doesn't look like it - we totally removed in our dev environment and it fixed it and the app seems to work fine. In prod env i just disabled the moodle mobile additional features service in the settings, then connection was fine with 3.5 app via SSO. We can't see anything obvious that would be needed, it was just that the repo branch of local_mobile being updated for 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 seemed odd if it's not needed past 3.2.

In reply to Mike Nodding

by Mark Johnson -

I have just tried removing local_mobile, and without it, it no longer loads my custom course format, so there are definitely features provided for app version 3.5 which are otherwise not available in Moodle 3.4.3.  I'll add a comment to this effect on the tracker.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm sorry to hear that, Mark!

I didn't think of that.

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,

this is indeed a bug in the app, I just sent a fix to PR. We'll fix several issues we've found in the new version and release a new version during this week ASAP.

As Ralf said in the issue, right now the only workaround is to disable local_mobile, and that means you could miss some features in the app. You could try to copy the file local/mobile/launch.php from local_mobile 3.1 to your installation, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Mike Nodding -

ok so you have local custom dev in your local_mobile plugin. What course format do you use on the app? sounds interesting.

I suppose my question should be - if all you have is the default local_mobile plugin with no customisations, is there any reason to keep it post 3.2? If you do have customisations can you just switch off the SSO part of it safely? 

In reply to Mike Nodding

by Mark Johnson -
We dont have custom dev in local_mobile.  We are running Moodle 3.4.  Moodle Mobile 3.5 supports custom course formats, but Moodle <3.5 doesn't have support for custom mobile formats in tool_mobile.  To use custom course formats on Moodle Mobile 3.5 with Moodle 3.4, you need to install local_mobile and enable its web services.

We use a custom course format called "OU Study Planner". Unfortunately its not public (it integrates heavily with our theme and in-house systems), but if you're interested we did some Moodlemoot presenations on the why and how.  I expect I'll submit a paper for the next next Moot on the mobile version too smile
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,

last friday we released a new version for Android that fixes this issue. The iOS version was delayed because we found some issues with embedded audios, it's now pending for review in the Apple App Store, hopefully it will be released soon.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Mike Nodding -

gotcha, thanks for the info. 

will grab a cuppa and  have a watch sometime - interesting development. 

cheers