Making moodle look good

Making moodle look good

by Tina Brixen -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Everyone

I work at a business college, where we use Moodle a lot, both to self-instruction coursers and for blended learning. Many of my users are colleges students 16- 20 years old, and therefore I am very interested in making Moodle, a nice and visual inviting place. We try to stay clear of to many costume developed features, as want to keep the cost and hassle of keeping the site updated down, so we use a lot of cool plugins from the moodle.org, but nothing else.    

I want to show you, how we work, and hopefully get some input and inspiration form you about cool user-friendly features.   

A

A.    We use marketing blocks to show all the enrolled coursers on the home page, I would have liked to use the dashboard more, but I have not found a good way to make it easy and visual for the student.

B

B.    We use grid format as course format, with one page pr. section, the students like having the course divided into chapters, so they feel the progression trough the course.  We have some bugs with alignment of the header and the boxes.

C

C.     Each section, we try to keep at a size that doesn’t discouraged the student, and at the same time keep them inside the system. We use a lot of labels, to write the text directly into Moodle, embed video and audio if possible. To prevent scrolling forever, we made a generico template that fold the text in a label into a button(and unfold with a red line right), and then we use the manual completions tracking to help the student keep track of how far we have come. We would like a more bookmark like feature, that automated how far the student have read, but I have not found anything for that yet.

D

D.    In text book assignment and extra information is often highlighted with in a special box or color, we wanted something similar for our Moodle. Therefore we have upscaled the icons for Quiz, files and assignments to be more visual, making the student aware of the change from reading to assignment etc. (Adaptable have extended these possibilities too now, and we are experimenting with these) I love the fact that Adaptable have made this possibility and miss it very much when we have to move course to other themes.

E

E.     We also made an extra generico label box for assignment that doesn’t have to be handed in. It works by having the blue pencil icon and the text when you enter the page, when you click the icon, the blue box unfold to show the rest of the information. We really like that fold in and out feature, and would love for that to be possible for assignments, and files too.

Do you have good ideas about ways to make Moodle more visual then please write comments.  

Moodle version: 3.2.5+

Theme: Adaptable

Plugins: Grid format, Generico

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tina Brixen

Re: Making moodle look good

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The first good idea would be to upgrade moodle and Adaptable to latest versions. Then you will get more features to help you in the design.

You could use the new Courses Overview block in the Dashboard that could be improved adding blocks in the top and bottom regions.

In the course page, you have also a top region where you can add the Progress Bar or the Completion Progress blocks. That will improve the student experience a lot. See https://adaptable.ws/demo/course/view.php?id=9

You are using the Standard view. This is narrower than Full Screen view and this is the reason the course page is narrow.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tina Brixen

Re: Making moodle look good

by Jez H -

Hi Tina,

Nice post ?

We also use the grid course format in adaptable when the format is set to show "one section per page", it works well doesn't it!

We also use the course contents block (plugin) with that as it improves navigation between course sections.

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_contents

We disable many other blocks including the Moodle navigation block.

Also check out the adaptable news slider which can be added to the dashboard and course pages to show announcements.

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_news_slider

There is a custom block region for the news slider in the theme on course pages.

Also, did you know you can show activity status in the course page itself in adaptable, for example number of quiz attempts, whether assignments have been submitted etc?

I think there are some screen shots on the adaptable plugin page.