Removing ability to download activity and course completion records.

Removing ability to download activity and course completion records.

ni David Boggs -
Number of replies: 3

I am trying to remove the capability for anyone other than system admins to download the student course and activity completion reports.  I didn't find the option in the Manager role, only option I saw was for viewing the report, which we do want them to be to do for a number of reasons, i.e, marking student complete for example.  Did I miss it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Boggs

Re: Removing ability to download activity and course completion records.

ni Colin Fraser -
Larawan ng Documentation writers Larawan ng Testers

If they can view it, they can download it. AFAIK, there is no stopping anyone, without heroic efforts, from downloading just about anything they can see onscreen. This is not a security flaw, it is simply that things are controlled within the Permissions and Capabilities of Roles within Moodle. You can make it difficult for Managers to download such reports, but you will need to hack core I suspect, and that is not a good idea. 

As an aside, the idea, as I understand it, of having an activity completion report was to allow Teachers to see who is lagging, or who is disengaging. Is there any reason why Teachers can't be trusted to do that in your setting? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

ni David Boggs -

Thanks for the reply, viewing the data is one thing, being able to downloading the data, under my organizations Personal Information policy is restricted.  Anyway, I took an all or nothing approach to this for the moment, I simply used css to hide the section.  This will not prevent instructors/teachers from copy and paste operations but it puts controls in place to limit mass downloads of personal information.

In reply to David Boggs

ni Colin Fraser -
Larawan ng Documentation writers Larawan ng Testers

Ahh, that is another issue. With the changes made by the EU privacy laws, I have no doubt it won't be long before other nations will do the same things. Privacy will become sacrosanct, and the valid use of information will become secondary to the possibility of the abuse of information. Oh well, the world changes and a new norm prevails.