Essential 3.4, IE and Turnitin issue.

Essential 3.4, IE and Turnitin issue.

by Sam Thing -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Folks,

Not sure this is an Essential bug or an IE one. Firefox, Safari and Chrome don't have this problem.

We've just upgraded to Moodle 3.4.2+ and so to Essential 3.4 and found an issue in the Turnitin Assignment plugin using IE.

All the Turnitin Assignment tabs display fine but clicking on the Submission Inbox ends in a failure. The page loads, the animated Synchronizing Data thing displays, the submission table displays briefly with all the submissions there and then the page refreshes itself. That all looks normal but after the refresh the submissions fail to display again and the submission inbox looks like this:

no subs

Clicking Refresh Submissions doesn't work, neither does refreshing the page. The only workaround I've found is a force refresh (Ctrl + F5). Although, interestingly, when I turn on developer tools and enable network traffic capturing, the submissions always load, every time, which (as I don't crack open the dev tools often) makes it difficult for me to work out where the failure is occurring.

I've tried previous versions of Essential 3.4 with the same result. We were on Moodle 3.2 before the upgrade with no problem there.

I'll warn teaching staff about this issue but it would be nice to find a fix.

Thanks, Sam.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Thing

Re: Essential 3.4, IE and Turnitin issue.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Which version of IE are you currently using.

Have you tried using the Clean theme and see how that works in IE. If the same thing happens whilst using the Clean theme using IE then this would suggest the problem is within the Turnitin coding and so not related to any particular Moodle theme.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Sam Thing -

Hi Mary,

I'm using IE 11 (11.0.9600.18837)

This only happens with Essential, none of the other themes I've tried.

Thanks, Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There was an issue years ago where Turnitin were including jQuery themselves rather than using the correct Moodle API wise.  This should have been fixed and if not could be the cause.  Are there any errors on the browser console?

You've not stated the version of the Turnitin plugin!

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Sam Thing -
Hi Gareth,

It's the current Turnitin's Moodle Direct 2.6+ (2018052201). I'm planning to switch to the Direct V2 this summer. I'll see if I can get a clone site to switch to the V2 in today and test that.

We've found that the Submission Inbox does load with Javascript Caching turned off, although that's not a very good solution.

There are no errors with the console open but then the submissions do load as expected with dev tools open.

There are warnings:
DOM7011: The code on this page disabled back and forward caching.
HTML1423: Malformed start tag. Attributes should be separated by whitespace.
SEC7115: :visited and :link styles can only differ by color. Some styles were not applied to :visited.

Thanks, Sam.
In reply to Sam Thing

by Sam Thing -

I can confirm this is an issue only in the Turnitin Direct 2.6+. Turnitin Direct V2 works as expected on my test site.

That's clearly the longer term solution then but that will have to wait till after the academic year is over.