How can I change the video player that Moodle uses?

Re: How can I change the video player that Moodle uses?

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Apparently then it would be a later feature. So there would likely not be an easy solution. You will have to think back to how you did things to set up the player in the first place and replicate that. 

Sorry, there is no short answer here, so please read on. 

The problem is that as you fall further behind the current release, the skills built around older releases are forgotten. This came up recently with a question that was asked about a v1.9. It had no easy answer, it took a while to get even a direction to work towards fixing it; but I am sure one would have been available at the time v1.9 was the current release. Like the product, the skills base evolves, and older solutions to problems are lost, unless they can be hunted down in the archives of the hundreds of thousands of questions already asked.

I suggest as a matter of urgency, that you think about these ideas: 

Create a test Moodle to do things to. It can be anywhere, a desktop, a laptop, just not the server where your site is. In doing so, you have to create a server environment, Apache, PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin and Moodle. Add to the Moodle your Users, your courses, you don't need everything but just a good sampling. Change all their passwords to a generic password, pick a couple and use them as your main test students. Test out everything. Learn what can go wrong as you add a plugin, remove a plugin, add a new User, delete a User, suspend an account, reactivate an account, everything, See what happens when you delete, or unenrol a student and then when you re-enrol. Back up a course and turn the power off to your computer before the backup is complete, see what happens. I know this is not recommended practice, but your home made server is really there to be destroyed, so don't be afraid of destroying it. 

Another thing you can do is to recognize that you will not always be an admin of that particular Moodle. You might get another job, have a car accident and be off work for six months, win the lotto and decide a 100mill  is enough to live the high life..smile Who knows? The point being that you have, it seems, not left any notes for yourself or anyone else as to how you have modified your Moodle. Create a change log and insist that anyone who admins your Moodle creates an entry, every time they modify anything. This allows you to review any change and either undo that change or replicate it if something goes wrong. Someone else acting as an admin should be able to open that change log and know exactly what you have done. That is good admin and really only takes a few seconds to enter the changes made. I have done this ever since I found myself in exactly the same position as you, but not with video players. It works. If you really want to get detailed, describe all the steps to what you did, everything, and for some things, this should actually be a requirement.    

Use your test Moodle as the basis for learning how to upgrade your site, follow the steps in my previous post. Do it several times, get the confidence, and once you have done it a couple of times, you will be wondering why you didn't upgrade before this. Just don't forget to be careful, and check everything as you do it, it will become less of a challenge and more of a routine chore. That is really what you want, the sense of routine. When you do upgrade your production site, it will be routine and no great challenge. I still do this on my test site, and the Moodles I admin are still working smoothly. The people who actually own the Moodles think I am really good, sure got them fooled...smile