Moodle 3.5 - Messages Migration Message

Moodle 3.5 - Messages Migration Message

از Jayden Tyronian در
Number of replies: 21

Site was updated from 3.1 to 3.5 successfully.

When going into the moodle messages area, no prior messages are appearing and a message of "Your messages are temporarily unavailable due to upgrades in the messaging infrastructure. Please wait for them to be migrated." appears.

Do I need to anything to make this happen?  roughly 18 hours have gone by since the site in its upgraded form has been up and running again.  I may have read the release notes incorrectly but it seemed that this was automatic, but i wanted to be sure.

Jayden

میانگین امتیازات: -
In reply to Jayden Tyronian

Re: Moodle 3.5 - Messages Migration Message

از Mark Nelson در
تصویر Core developers تصویر Documentation writers تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers تصویر Peer reviewers تصویر Plugin developers تصویر Testers

An adhoc task is scheduled to migrate the messages for any user that logs in. This task is run during cron, so, you will need to have cron running for these to ever be migrated.

Cheers!

In reply to Mark Nelson

از Rob Mills در

I also have this message - cron is definitely running because other tasks are happening. ??? 

In reply to Rob Mills

از Mohammad Imran در
I don't know what the issue is. I have also tried to check cron, there is no such cron job there in scheduled tasks to retrieve messages.

Where is MOODLE. Extramrly pathetic customer support. 

In reply to Mohammad Imran

از Howard Miller در
تصویر Core developers تصویر Documentation writers تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers تصویر Peer reviewers تصویر Plugin developers

You do appreciate that we are all volunteers, yeh?

Despite your rudeness... are you *sure* your Cron is running and, more to the point, not generating any errors when you run it "by hand"?

It's *definitely* an ad-hoc task that is run if the user (in this case YOU) has any legacy messages detected. This is done on every login. If it hasn't worked, I would look suspiciously at the cron output. Make sure Debugging is on too. 

It's not that easy debugging ad-hoc tasks as they back off to the point where they run every 24 hours but somebody who is having this problem will need to have a go. 

You could write a tiny script and put it in the root of your Moodle install...

<?php
define('CLI_SCRIPT', true);
require_once('config.php')
\core_message\task\migrate_message_data::queue_task(...USER ID...);

Important: replace ...USER ID... with YOUR user id (an integer). 

First run this and then run cron...

php admin/cli/cron.php

This will force the task to run and should appear in the cron output. Along with any errors if it is going wrong. 
In reply to Howard Miller

از Mohammad Imran در

I do appreciate efforts of you all. But this move have made all of my students including me into dark. All past communication with my students and communication of students with students have gone. You can imagine my frustration. 

In reply to Mohammad Imran

از Howard Miller در
تصویر Core developers تصویر Documentation writers تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers تصویر Peer reviewers تصویر Plugin developers

I can. But you'll still need to make a big effort and be nice چشمک

In reply to Rob Mills

از Mark Nelson در
تصویر Core developers تصویر Documentation writers تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers تصویر Peer reviewers تصویر Plugin developers تصویر Testers

It can take some time, especially if you have a lot of messages and users (this was the case for moodle.org). You will have to ensure you have cron running regularly (as every Moodle site should) to ensure migration is done.

از Tobias Garske در
تصویر Core developers تصویر Plugin developers

As far as I understand the migration happens for every user individually. When a user logs in the task is queued to run in as adhoc task.

In reply to Tobias Garske

از Mark Nelson در

Tobias is correct.

If a user never logs in their messages will not be migrated.

Also note, you may see some messages and still see the notice. This is because another user(s) you have been messaging logged in and the task ran for them.

Example -

If user A logs in and you have been messaging user A, but you do not log in, the messages between user A and yourself are migrated, so when you log in you will see the messages from user A listed, but it does not mean all your messages have been migrated.

از Aiden McElroy در

Hi

When I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.5 I had to also upgrade my PHP version from PHP 5.6.36 to PHP 7.1.17. This stop my CRON jobs from running resulting in the error message: "Your messages are temporarily unavailable due to upgrades in the messaging infrastructure. Please wait for them to be migrated."

To fix it in Cpanel, go to CRON Jobs and edit the command line from /usr/local/php56/bin/php-cli -f to /usr/local/php71/bin/php-cli -f .

Good luck.

از Mark Nelson در
In reply to Mark Nelson

از Marc Couture در

Hi Mark,

Saw this after receiving an email from a client, when do you think a patch will be published to address the issue?  Apparently this has been fixed in Moodle 3.5.1, but the code has not yet been published on moodle.org.  Thanks.

In reply to Marc Couture

از Mark Nelson در

Hi Marc,

It is available in the weekly release from https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/. 3.5.1 will be the latest official update of Moodle 3.5 that contains the patch, but you can get it beforehand by choosing to download the weeklies (even though the version isn't actually 3.5.1).

I know this can be a bit confusing.

HTH,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

از Marc Couture در

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately, I did install the latest 3.5+ build last week (the last build was done 7 days ago, if the information on the official page is accurate) and the issue has not been resolved as far as I can see.

In reply to Mark Nelson

از Lenka Orzelova در

Hi,

the last week I upgraded our Moodle from 3.4 to 3.5.1+ and still have the problem with migration message ناراحت Can you help me please?

Lenka

In reply to Lenka Orzelova

از Tifano T در

Hi Lenka, 

Have you tried running cron job?

It should fix your issue.

I you are an admin can run from the browser like so;

https://www.yourdomain/admin/cron.php?password="your password here"

Thanks