Deployment plans

Deployment plans

by A. H. -
Number of replies: 3

Any suggestions on how to shift pedagogically from WebCT to Moodle? Training faculty on using Moodle while they are already running classes using WebCT?Won't they find it difficult? Where can I find a previous experience documented?

Thank you in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. H.

Re: Deployment plans

by A. T. Wyatt -
We used the pilot study approach.   We are a quite small campus, so that made more sense for us.  First semester I had about 20 faculty request accounts and about 15 used Moodle with real courses.  None of them want to go back to the previous LMS.  Now we are adding about 8-10 more people for this semester.  I expect that with the improvements in 1.5.3, they also will choose to stick with Moodle next year.  About March, we will have to make a final decision, but my recommendation will be to make the change.

I started out by doing some very detailed analysis of what we were doing with the proprietary LMS.  Amount of use, types of resources, types of activities.  It makes a big difference when you can say, very confidently, what you are doing and how much you are doing.  Then you can see more easily how far your money is going!  In our case, I found that a very small number of faculty were using the LMS for anything except document repository.  It was easy to prove the null hypothesis--Moodle is equal to or better than the current LMS.

I surveyed 300 randomly selected students, and approximately 100 of them had used both Moodle and the other LMS.  I crunched the data on a number of tools/use areas and the hypothesis was accepted.  I surveyed the pilot project instructors (12 or so), and the hypothesis was accepted.  The surveys pointed out a number of areas where training and more accurate information was needed.  Most of the complaints are things we can do something about (training and a standard course layout).  I have a good blueprint for where to go next.

I suggest you let the faculty choose which system they want to use until you have reached the "tipping point" (or the "wall"--money for continued license).  Give them an overview of Moodle, stress the differences so they have a basis for making a choice, and do some workshops before the term starts.  We have had good success with Geek Week in May (right after the spring term ends), and I am planning to do that again this summer if we make the switch.  My guess is we will make the switch, but I am not the sole maker of decisions!!  But having real research data is going to give me a powerful argument.

Good luck to you!  I hope to hear how you are coming on!  This isn't really a pedagogical plan, but a tactical plan.  Maybe it will help you anyway.  I found that my instructors have had a hard time shifting from segregated document repositories to a course with integrated content and activities presented in an instructional context.  But at a university, you plan for small changes.  Moodle, by its very structure, encourages the integrated presentation.  Start small and keep offering workshops.  I have found that people will adapt when they have leaders in their own departments who can encourage, model, and support. (and the research on leading technological change bears that out).  And help them set realistic expectations.  I caution people to stage their adoption.  It usually takes 3 semesters or more to get a course in tip-top shape (and then you want to change it all!)

atw
In reply to A. H.

by Frank Fucile -
Hello Amer and A. T.

I was involved in a year long pilot study called "Moodle: An Alternative LMS"...the study was completed by 6 colleges/universities in British Columbia...our main LMS is WebCT and we completed the study to determine if Moodle would be an appropriate alternative...

Here is a website where we have posted our findings...

http://molokai.ol.mala.bc.ca/moodle_doc/index.html

I hope these findings help you with your decision

take care
frank

PS...A.T. would you be able to share some of your survey findings???

In reply to A. H.

by D.I. von Briesen -
Amer-

Salamu aleykum.

I've attached a 1MB mp3 from a friend who is converting his school from webCT to moodle. They received a pitch from each of the respective sales folks (BB, webCT, and moodle) and chose moodle. Here's a 'cast he sent me.

Hmm.... ok, 50 k upload, maybe not.. .here's it:

email me at di.vonbriesen@cpcc.edu if you want to be in touch with him.

d.i.