automated backups

automated backups

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 6

Hi 

Ive been able to locate and turn this on yet neither manual or automatic offer any means to schedule (at least not using a simple GUI)

Is there an idiots guide to how to do this someone might recommend?

thanks in advance

Dom

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom F

Re: automated backups

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Dom,

I don't use Moodle's "Automated Backups." I run a cron job and backup the database, moodledata, moodle, and config.php every night, using a 7-day rotation.

Would this interest you, or are you much more seeking help on Moodle's internal backup system?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dom F -

Thats very kind of you Rick,

he answer is both - for sure. But I am now worried that crucial user behaviour stats have been lost because moodle isnt working properly? How can i tell? Where might the logs be dumped to on the server?

And yes - going forwards having a cron job to log user stats would also help? (No idea how) 

Might you be able to through light on both issues? (Especially the first issue for now?)

D

In reply to Dom F

by Rick Jerz -

Here is an example of my backup script.  Of course, you will need to modify it to match your Moodle's parameters and file locations.  Let me know if any line is troubling you (you can execute line by line.)

I run this file once a day, at approximately 3 AM.  This is only one level of protection.  Someone might want to run this more than once a day.  Running it more frequently takes more server CPU, and maybe more disk space.

Let me let you see the general nature of this script file.  Then, if needed, I can give you the exact copy of my script file, if needed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dom F -

Thats great. I dont have the skills to put that in place though, so let me come back to you once I have ben through my contacts to see if I can locate someone with that skill?

In reply to Dom F

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, I understand.  The two major pieces of education for this script are as follows:

1) How to ssh into your server.

2) A little Linux command-line knowledge.

As you realize, being able to backup your moodle, in one way or another, is a very important task.  So make sure to keep this "high" on your priorities and future education.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Paul Raper -

That looks pretty neat. I shall take a look at that. I take it you could download the backup files to a local PC right.

Setting up a good solid backup plan always seems to be a low priority probably because many of us don’t know how to do it.