Recording Videos

Recording Videos

написао/ла Tonie Miller -
Број одговора: 13

Hi all, 

Being fairly new to Moodle, I am trying to get an idea how everyone records videos within Moodle. What tool/plugin do you use? 

Thanks, 

Tonie

У одговору на Tonie Miller

Re: Recording Videos

написао/ла Rick Jerz -
Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Testers
У одговору на Rick Jerz

Rick, 

We want to have students record videos for assignments, such as practicing a skill (such as nursing students getting vitals), demonstrating knowledge (practicing a foreign language) or giving a presentation. 

Thanks, 

Tonie

написао/ла Rick Jerz -
Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Testers

Okay, I think what you are then really asking is how can you use Moodle to manage and show videos.  Your students will be taking videos with their smartphones, and they can move these around just like they move photos around.  If they happen to want to take computer-screen videos, then they need a screen video recorder, of which there are many.  I use Camtasia.

Some people move videos right into Moodle, but I don't.  I prefer keeping my videos on a video server, and I am fortunate that my university has a video server.  But you might need to decide if you want to use products like Youtube, Vimeo, or others.

Moodle can display videos very easily.  Let me show you.  Below, all that I did was to copy/paste my video URL right into this editor.  That's it.  Your students could do the same, given that your Moodle administrator hasn't prevented this.

У одговору на Rick Jerz

написао/ла Ethan Scott -

Thanks Rick.

This is particularly helpful!

написао/ла Floyd Saner -

Tonie,

Moodle does not have a built-in video/audio recorder. However, there are several options:

1. Record your video/audio using another program or a device such as a phone or tablet.
    1. Upload the recorded file to your Moodle course.
    2. Store the file on a video server (e.g. YouTube, Wistia, Vimeo, Camtasia, Google) and embed the video in Moodle
  2. Use a service, such as POODLL or Kaltura, along with their Moodle plugins to directly record from Moodle.

Floyd

У одговору на Floyd Saner

написао/ла Stephen Bourget -
Слика Core developers Слика Plugin developers Слика Testers

Depending on what you are trying to record, Moodle 3.5 will ship with a simple video/audio recorder (See MDL-60848 for more information).

The plugin will apply to the ATTO editor and can only record a few minutes of audio / video.

More information can be found here:

https://moodle.org/plugins/atto_recordrtc

https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-atto_recordrtc/blob/master/README.md

написао/ла Justin Hunt -
Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Plugin developers

I think the best tool for recording video into assignments, is Poodll. 

But I would say that because I am the developer of it ( and it is not free). You can read more about it here:

https://poodll.com

And there is a demo site with a video recording assignment that you can play around with here:

https://demo.poodll.com

У одговору на Justin Hunt

Justin, 

Thank you for sharing information about your tool. I will research it!

Tonie

написао/ла Colin Fraser -
Слика Documentation writers Слика Testers

HI Tonie, this is an issue, even if v3.5 has a video/audio recorder as part of core. Using video in courses is not new and there are a lot of other tools out there that will help. Unfortunately, what has been mentioned already, Camtasia, Adobe Articulate and even Poodll, all excellent tools, can also bear some costs that a lot of students may not be able to cover. 

The most successful tool I have used for screen casting has been Screencast-o-matic. This is an Open Source project that does bear the badge but is easy to use for newbies. A small fee, like $(US)15/pa I think it is, drops the badge and allows users to gain access to the editing tools, but the raw video produced is useful. All you need is a camera on your desktops or use the builtin camera on laptops. 

For videos that require a live action or demo sequence, (you mention patient care), a hand held cell-phone video is good, or even a tripod mounted taping can be very useful. 

In any circumstance, I have found the largest problem is sound, that is, the sound recording can be wrecked by background noise. Even the best video can be excruciating if the background noise detracts from the video. A lot of phones also do not have good sound pickup, if the action is occurring too far from the phone. Sadly, there are not too many decent dubbing tools but perhaps something like WavePad might be useful here. Adobe Audition is obviously the top of the range, but so is the price.         

Good luck...