Hardware required for up to 30 users in intranet using OWL Oohoo language lab plugin for Moodle

Hardware required for up to 30 users in intranet using OWL Oohoo language lab plugin for Moodle

by Davida Natolotra -
Number of replies: 4
Dear,
I'm planning to use the language lab OWL Oohoo plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_languagelab) for my english language lab. Could you please suggest the hardware needed to run it smoothly for up to 30 users  in intranet ? If possible, please give technical details.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davida Natolotra

Re: Hardware required for up to 30 users in intranet using OWL Oohoo language lab plugin for Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Almost certainly not. I assume you mean 30 'concurrent' users in a class at the same time?  That's not a huge number as long as the system is set up properly. 

This sort of question is asked all the time in this forum. You'd do well to have a look through some of the threads to get ideas. Unfortunately, everybody's situation is slightly different and these differences can make affect performance significantly. 

Best advice is, read this - Performance_recommendations. Then set up a pilot on whatever hardware you have handy and see how you get on. Obviously (I hope) monitor the system and extrapolate. 

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Hardware required for up to 30 users in intranet using OWL Oohoo language lab plugin for Moodle

by Davida Natolotra -
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, the main big difference from common moodle installation here is the use of the OWL language lab which require another server for streaming. So, my question is about the hardware setting for this streaming server (and not the software as they already detailed it). Thanks in advance.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can help you with that even less. Although, is this still really a Moodle question? You may well get a more useful answer from whoever supports the streaming software. 

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I had a small home server setup when I tried to use OWL Language Lab in my computer lab with a maximum of 16 students at a time. I had one server at home running both Moodle and Red5 streaming server. I could handle all 16 students starting a quiz at the same time, but could only handle 4 students at a time in the OWL language lab. My problem was due to the small bandwidth, only one and a half million bits per second, coming out from my home server. I hoped to move the streaming server to a computer right in my lab, but other projects kept me too busy to try it out.