A server to install moodle

A server to install moodle

by erdal ayan -
Number of replies: 8

Dear all,

I am planning to install Moodle on to a linux server. Do you have any recommendation to find a cheap and/but secure server for my e-learning project over Moodle? Any ideas are welcome..

Best wishes...

Erdal Ayan, M.A.-M.Sc.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to erdal ayan

Re: A server to install moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moving to Hardware and Performance...

By 'server' do you actually mean 'hosting' or do you actually mean a metal box with lights on the front?

In reply to Howard Miller

by erdal ayan -

Dear Howard, thank you for your message. I mean "hosting"/a web server that I can connect through ssh and install a moodle version. I have heard about MoodleCloud but the number of the users are limited. sad Do you have any recommendation of web server to install a moodle version on it?

Best..

Erdal Ayan, M.A.-M.Sc.

In reply to erdal ayan

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

We have been seeing that many, but not all of the low cost (around $5-$10US/month) hosted servers do not support all of the necessary Moodle 3.4 requirements.

However, if you step up to a VPS, around $25-$50US/month, you will have better luck.

Others here on moodle.org might be able to guide you a bit more than I can.

Give us some idea of what you are willing to spend.  Also, how many "students" do you plan to have in your Moodle?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by erdal ayan -

Dear Rick,

thank you for your informative message. Actually, I do not have the exact number of potential students... Well it depends on the project holders. The LMS will be used for blended learning and for mostly online workshops/webinars for the students/participants from different countries.

Best...

Erdal Ayan, M.A.-M.Sc.

In reply to erdal ayan

by Michael Penney -

For development and testing I run one site on a t2 micro on AWS. For our very busy production site we need much more compute, but if you just want to test things out the t2 micro is under $10/month (or free if your usage fits under the free tier). 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by erdal ayan -

Dear Michael,

thank you for mentioning that but I am not going to use it use it for development purposes and/but for blended learning in scope of a project.

Best...

Erdal Ayan, M.A.-M.Sc.

In reply to erdal ayan

by James Steerpike -

I have been running on a low cost VPS this semester. Today in class 50 students were listed as being connected in the last 5 minutes, most doing a quiz and "top" recorded around 50% CPU. Everything went well. I have 350 students in total and usual load is around 5 at once. Concurrent users even with more with 50 logged on is probably in single figures.

This plan offers a gig of Ram, a gig of swap and 2 cores for under $5 a month. Full ssh root access but you need to set it up from scratch. I have installed Debian  and Moodle 3.41. I have struggled with email setup but otherwise a solid and fast setup. Benchmarking plugin recorded around 60.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to James Steerpike

by erdal ayan -

Dear James,

thank you for your detailed response. I will consider the issues you have mentioned.

best...

Erdal Ayan, M.A.-M.Sc.