My 'school' is for training service dogs, so I would like the Certificate to include the student and dog name. Is there a way for the Students to put the names that should appear on the certificate manually instead of the name being instantly created as their username?
Not without hacking the code. But you can put their name instead of the username. And if you added the dog name to another field that the certificate can pull, that should allow you to add the dog name too.
Thank you so much for the assistance. This is my first Moodle creation, so I am definitely learning as I go.
I looked at the different fields available for the certificate to use and the only one I can see that might allow the student's to put in information might be the code. Do you know if that would work? If we were to tell them that the 'code' is their dog's name and they put that in.
Also, I did select name for the Certificate, but I assumed that it was pulled from username. I am guessing from what you said that it is pulled from their real name that they put in when they sign up?
Thank you so much for all the assistance. Once I learn it, I can go with it but there are SO many new things to figure out here that some of it can be nearly overwhelming. ;)
Welcome to Moodle.
The code element is definitely not the one to use. It generates a unique random code like '12xYzas' that identifies the certificate. So, unless your owners are happy renaming their dogs to unpronounceable names I don't think this is the way to go.
What you want to do is add a 'Text' user profile field (see https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/User_profile_fields) and have your users enter their dog's name there. Then, you can add a 'User field' element to the certificate and in the drop down select the field for the dog name.
Yes, I agree with Mark and have done the same myself. Works perfectly
NB I have managed to make a lovely Custom Certificate, tested sending it by email in my Moodle Cloud account, but for some odd reason I can't get it to email from my course. Can anyone help with this please? I know my emails are working, because the badges work.
What restriction settings do you have for the certificate--if something is required to get the certificate that the student can't actually do, it won't work.
What you need to do is:
1) Create a user profile field called 'dog_name' (or whatever you like). To do this, navigate to Administration > Site administration > Users > Accounts > User profile fields (for more info see
2) You can then get your user to add the dog's name by going to their 'profile' (top right) and then click 'edit profile'. Scroll down to 'other fields' and that is where they can enter the dog's name.
3) Add a 'custom certificate' activity to your course.
4) Click on 'restrict access' , 'add restriction', 'user profile'. Under 'user profile field' select your new field 'dog_name' (or whatever you called it). Change 'is equal to' to 'is not empty' (so that the certificate is only issued if a dog's name has been input by you or the user).
5) Edit your certificate. Select 'user field' and then click 'add element', then select 'dog_name' from 'user field' on the next screen. This will put the field with the dog's name in the certificate.
I think that's it. I hope that you have figured it all out, but post again if you get stuck