How to disable Analytics compeletely

Re: How to disable Analytics compeletely

by Elizabeth Dalton -
Number of replies: 1

Randy, I don't know your client's legal needs, obviously. I'm surprised that the existence of a feature in Moodle caused them to drop Moodle altogether, even though the feature does nothing unless sub-components (models) are manually enabled. Since this is such a concern for your client, I feel I should point out that most LMS software includes fairly extensive logging (and if hosted by a provider, you have little idea of what they are doing with those logs).

If a switch to disable the Moodle Learning Analytics feature is required for many Moodle users and/or clients, I encourage someone from the Moodle community to post a tracker ticket describing how you expect it to work and what visibility (if any) needs to be provided to site administrators, users, managers, etc. It will be best if someone who has an identified need writes the request, so we can be sure your needs are identified, though I'm happy to help with clarifications.

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

Re: How to disable Analytics compeletely

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Elizabeth,

I know, I was really surprised too, but I learned a lot.

This is probably an edge case for most people in Moodle right now, but consider that there are some really complicated business relations revolving around who owns what rights to what data. User data is bought and sold and so contracts can have constraints on what clients can collect and do with it. Add in GDPR and federal data laws like in Germany and Switzerland and it gets complicated.

It's not just raw data, but also analytics rights. You might be interested in the situation where a content provider wanted contractual rights to the analytics for their products and they wanted to prevent a certain competitor from getting those rights too. We even tried to sketch out how to divide things up. It was really unusual.

Another interesting thing that came up was consent (in the GDPR sense) for previous training data for users long finished with courses. In order to do the training for the model, we needed to use the old courses - but had consent for that been given? Was it included under the "compatible" use clause? Was that data supposed to have been removed as no longer needed? I mean, lots of questions.

I have a list of proposed settings for the admin part of this and I will post them in a bit. I am happy to put in all the trackers for this when time comes.

Randy