Matrix question: Difference between documentation & actual question

Re: Matrix question: Difference between documentation & actual question

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Works as expected for me.

Attachment 2018-02-22_18-28-39.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Björn Fisseler -

I think our expectations are different. big grin

To be more precise:

• The official Moodle documentation doesn't display an additional column left to the matrix (see first image in my first message). The actual working version has this additional column with pre-selected radio buttons. Why?
  • As the question is set to "response required = no", I would expect to be able to answer some items and not answer other items. But as soon as one item is answered, all other items have to be answered, too.
    This is a behavior I find irritating to both author and users. Is this the intended behavior or is it due to some (mis-)configuration?

Regards

In reply to Björn Fisseler

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Björn,

1.- The official Moodle documentation doesn't display an additional column left to the matrix (see first image in my first message). The actual working version has this additional column with pre-selected radio buttons. Why?

You are right, the screen shot illustrating that matrix question is outdated. The additional column with pre-selected radio buttons was added in a later version, to make it clear which radio buttons should have been checked in the matrix.

2.- As the question is set to "response required = no", I would expect to be able to answer some items and not answer other items.

Actually, the option "response required = no/yes" applies to the whole question, not to the individual responses/radio buttons.

3.- But as soon as one item is answered, all other items have to be answered, too.
This is a behavior I find irritating to both author and users. Is this the intended behavior or is it due to some (mis-)configuration?

What you need here is to select the N/A columns option for your question, as explained in the doc:

3.9.4 Type of rate scale
Normal (default value)
N/A columns  : Choose this if you want an N/A column to be added to the right of your Rate scale items columns.

See the attached screenshot. I hope this answers your query.

Attachment 2018-02-23_23-21-44.jpg
Average of ratings:Useful (2)