Display multi-page html from usb on moodlebox - Rachel on moodle

Display multi-page html from usb on moodlebox - Rachel on moodle

by Cade Dopp -
Number of replies: 9

Basically what I want to do is have a website on my server (usb drive) that I can access from moodle.

I have created a Rachel USB that I want to use with a moodlebox. I want to access the Rachel content directly from the USB, without copying the files to the sd card in my moodlebox. After several hours of experimenting/googling I am stuck. Please help!

More details: When I plug a usb drive into my raspberry pi I am able to access those files from the file picker in moodle. In moodle I can create a new page, embed one of these files, and that works for a single file. If I try to use any of the links on that file (to other files on the usb), I get an error. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cade Dopp

Re: Display multi-page html from usb on moodlebox - Rachel on moodle

by Cade Dopp -
I should clarify this needs to work offline. Here's a link to a screencast with more details if my original post wasn't detailed enough.

In reply to Cade Dopp

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

At a first glance, if you mount the USB memory stick under the web root of the MoodleBox, its web server will deliver RACHEL through http://moodlebox.home/rachel/, for example.

But I don't believe that the exercise is that simple. Many modules in RACHEL are interactive. So they require databases and their individual web frameworks. You need to know RACHEL well.

We had a related discussion under "Moodle Installation in Rural Area" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=353602.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Cade Dopp -

Thanks for the response.

In reply to Cade Dopp

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Cade,

Essentially, if I understand correctly, you want the nginx web server of your MoodleBox to serve your RACHEL content stored on your harddisk from, say, this address: moodlebox.home/rachel.

If your content consists of static files (which seems to be the case with the RACHEL USB version), this is possible. However you'll need some sysadmin knowledge to configure your MoodleBox.

Some quick thoughts.

• Log into your MoodleBox, via SSH (help here: https://moodlebox.net/en/help/command-line-connection/)
  • Create a symlink your content on your hard drive to from /var/www/moodle/Rachel/, e.g. like this (type this in the terminal window): sudo ln -s /path/of/the/data/on/your/harddrive /var/www/moodle/rachel 
  • Open your browser and go to moodlebox.home/rachel
  • Enjoy your content smile

Nicolas

Creator of the MoodleBox

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Cade Dopp -

Thank you!

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just a note to confirm that this works perfectly with the USB version of RACHEL, downloaded here: http://rachelfriends.org/rachel-pi-howto.html (look at the bottom of the page).

For reference, if your RACHEL content is store in a folder "RACHEL" in the root of your USB drive auto-mounted by the MoodleBox, the exact command to enter is:

sudo ln -s /media/usb/RACHEL/ /var/www/moodle/rachel

Good luck!

Nicolas

Creator of the MoodleBox

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Cade Dopp -

Thanks Nicolas. I ssh'd in and entered the command you gave me. When I tried to navigate to moodlebox.home/rachel/ I got a 404 error. I checked my USB drive and saw that my folder was named "Rachel", instead of "RACHEL". I made the adjustment to your command, navigated to moodlebox.home/rachel/ and now I get a 403 error.

Do I need to update a server setting? This is probably an obvious answer but I'm still a novice with this stuff.

Thanks.

In reply to Cade Dopp

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Hi Cade,

First of all, please ensure you're doing this with RACHEL-USB, as it won't work with the full version of RACHEL.

Could you tell what is inside your Rachel folder in your USB drive? (post a screenshot).

Nicolas

by Cade Dopp -

Nicolas, your original suggestion actually worked. I had forgotten that I created a folder called "Rachel" in the root of my usb drive. I deleted the folder I made, moved "RACHEL" to root, and it works perfectly. Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)