Latest "technology stack" for Web Development

Latest "technology stack" for Web Development

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everyone,

Haven't been posting on the Moodle forum for a while now. How is everyone doing?

I remember I was reading something on glassdoor that a Moodle HQ developer commented that "Cons: Old technology stack (but gradually bringing newer technology)"... 

So, what would be considered as "newer" technology stack? Can someone please elaborate this?

I understand that the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack might not be "new" anymore, but I'm wondering if someone is to create a brand new cutting-edge LMS today, that kind of "technology stack" will they be using? I don't think something like TensorFlow, Druid, NoSQL, BigQuery, and BigData that type of technology would be a good fit for LMS, right? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Latest "technology stack" for Web Development

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hmm I google'd about this, and found this:

https://rubygarage.org/blog/technology-stack-for-web-development

Looks like this article covered a lot of the newer technologies.

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Some maniac would probably want to write Moodle in node.js if they started today wink

The PHP stack is far from dead. It's so well supported. Like everything else, it will have its day. Just not yet.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Oleksandr Pedchenko -

I agree. It's good to see that this language has further development.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hallo all

The given link https://rubygarage.org/blog/technology-stack-for-web-development lists many possible "technology stacks", PHP and JavaScript are amoung them.

The deeper question for me is how relevant the "horizontal stacking" offered by Docker and alike are.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I've said before that I fundamentally don't *get* Docker. 

It's clearly solving a problem for somebody. It must be solving a problem I don't have.  I imagine it's cool if you are constantly deploying and getting rid of some particularly well-defined service in a cloud environment. I struggle to see how this would apply (in the general case anyway) to Moodle. 

by Albert Ramsbottom -

I too have been struggling with Docker, until that is, that someone asked me to create 100 mini moodles for schools across Lancashire.

My first thoughts were very small Azure VMs with shared resources that cost very little. But then I realised after reading about docker, that i could build a mini moodle, dockerise it and then have 5 medium VMs in Azure and have 20 mini moodles containerised on each VM

After I have built one mini Moodle, that worked and was easily configurable, I just created the rest in quick succession and Roberts your fathers brother

smile

Average of ratings: Cool (3)