Android issues

Android issues

by Stephen Gibbs Jr. -
Number of replies: 8

Folks,

What do you suggest looking at if the app works when using iOS but not when using Android? We just get the "Oops page". Let me know. Thanks!

Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Gibbs Jr.

Re: Android issues

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

what do you mean by the app works?

Do you mean that you cannot even connect using your Android device?

Are you talking about a custom/branded version of the app?

Are you having issues not being able to use some functionalities of the app?

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Stephen Gibbs Jr. -
In iOS the app works just fine.  We are able to log-in and use things.  When we try to use an Android device, we can't even get to the log-in page we just get the "Oops we can't connect page".  We do not have a custom/branding version configured for the app.  Functionality works fine on the iOS side.  Any suggestions?

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Juan Leyva

by David Penner -
Juan,

I'm the Moodle admin for moodle.emu.edu and work with Stephen. Could you be more specific about what kind of cert problems cause this issue? For example, is there a specific cipher or protocol option we need to enable/disable? Or something else entirely?

I've run one of the tests and we get an A rating. Problem is it is only testing the cert for our proxy server, not the cert that the Moodle server uses internally. When users are connected to our local network they access our Moodle server directly (so they see the server's cert, not the proxy cert).  We've established that the problem does not occur when users are connected from outside our network. So it would seem to be a cert issue with the server itself, not our proxy's cert.

Thanks in advance!

David

In reply to David Penner

by Stephen Gibbs Jr. -

Juan,

Any ideas on this one based on what David asked in the last comment?  Please let us know.  Thanks!

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Stephen,
try to look at the CAs chained on both the certificates: there are some examples about how to do it, here in the Community e.g. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361822#p1459168 or in the net, e.g. https://langui.sh/2009/03/14/checking-a-remote-certificate-chain-with-openssl/ .

It could be also a problem on the FQDN used vs what issued in the certificate when accessing from inside vs from outside.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to David Penner

by Juan Leyva -

Hi David,

I'm not really an expert on certificates, I'd suggest you make the internal cert available to Internet so you can run the online checkers and see what they say.

One question, if you try to access your site via the internal network using the Android Chrome browser, do you get any warning in the Android Chrome browser?

Also, Android versions < 4.4.4 have a bug related to certificates (but I suppose this is not your particular case)