Google document converter - ppt files not working

Google document converter - ppt files not working

by Eva E -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

We are using the google document converter and it works perfectly for all supported file types, except ppt. Tried brand new submissions and brand new files, it simply returns the blank page, but pptx (and all other file types) works perfectly.

There are no errors in the google dashboard so the error must be on the Moodle side but there is nothing in the logs so it is very hard to debug. 

I am wondering if anyone is having the same issue? we are on Moodle version 3.3.0 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eva E

Re: Google document converter - ppt files not working

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Eva,

When you look at Site administration > Plugins > Document converters, is ppt in the list of supported document conversions for your google document converter?

In reply to AL Rachels

by Eva E -

Hi Al,

Yes it is, the list there is "rtf, doc, xls, docx, xlsx, ppt, pptx, pdf", all the file types except ppt work.

Do you have a google converter in your instance? If you do could you please try if it successfully converts ppt files.

In reply to Eva E

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Eva,

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a google converter setup. I normally only use Unoconv except during QA Testing. I have to leave right now, but will try to reactivate it on my 3.4 site in the morning.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Eva E -

Thank you Al.

In reply to Eva E

by AL Rachels -

Hi Eva,

I just rediscovered another reason why I quit using the Google document converter...all of my dev sites I currently have up and running, use raw IP addresses and Google no longer allows those to be used.

Anyway, on a production site I set up the Google converter and I am getting the same results as you. A ppt file gives a single, blank, white page. I save the exact same 13 slide presentation with a pptx file extension, and all 13 pages of it got converted correctly.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Eva E -

Thank you Al I appreciate you confirming that you experience the same issue. I will create a tracker item for this and post it here for anyone else who may be experiencing this.