"Default group" - how to prevent comments appearing everywhere

"Default group" - how to prevent comments appearing everywhere

by Jonas Moons -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there! My first post here. I would be very grateful for any help.

I'm using groups in a course for different groups of students in a class working on a different project. Some students were never in a group and others were removed for different reasons. Some of the students whose group uploaded the assignment in Moodle were removed afterwards, because it turned out they didn't do anything for it.

The problem I'm encountering is that all students without a group are now in a "default group". If I add a comment along the lines of "you were removed and therefore do not get a grade", the comment is applied to all students without a group! It also happens when I remove the checkmark "Apply feedback to all?". How can I fix this?

Frankly, I think this "default group" is a design flaw. It makes no sense to me that students that are not explicitly assigned to a group, are somehow part of a "group" in Moodle's system.

I'm using Moodle 3.2.3.

Thanks for any answers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonas Moons

Re: "Default group" - how to prevent comments appearing everywhere

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just for clarification - it sounds like you are using the 'Students submit in groups' setting. If so, have you tried also setting 'Require group to make submission' (immediately below the 'submit in groups' setting)?

In reply to Davo Smith

Re: "Default group" - how to prevent comments appearing everywhere

by Jonas Moons -

Yeah, I'm using 'Students submit in groups'. Hmm, that's a useful setting that will come in handy in the future, thanks. I don't think it will prevent my problem here, though, because I only encountered it after students had submitted.