Is there any forum for duscussing potential GSoc projects?
General developer forum
Google Summer of Code 2018
I am summarizing it here again:
Translation in context means that you can see where the translated string is being used, and you can correct it in place. It is very important for the accuracy of translations.
There are a couple of ways for implementing it, which are discussed here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=347843
The most feasible one is the David's proposal to implement it by a plugin (block or admin tool) that does the following:
- The plugin provides a custom string manager class to track the strings used at the page (function `get_string()` could track all strings used at the current page).
- This list of strings and their (current) translations can be appended to the page.
- At the footer of the page (or on the menu) will appear a link that says "Edit translations on this page".
- When this link (or menu item) is clicked, an AJAX form or JS overlay should appear, which allows to edit the translations of these strings.
- When changes are saved, the page is refreshed and the new translations appear on it.
- Translation changes made over time should be able to be exported and to be uploaded to the server of translations (lang.moodle.org) for review and acceptance by language admins.
The last point can be done from the admin interface of the plugin. On the admin interface can also be a switch to enable/disable this in-context translation feature (maybe for performance reasons).--------------->8-------------------------
I have also tried to add a new feature request on the tracker, but I have not been able to. Please help me with this as well, even if the project is not submitted for the GSoC.
Students are always able to submit their own project ideas as part of GSOC - typically we only add projects to the GSOC Project ideas page in moodledocs when we have a confirmed mentor that wants to mentor a specific project idea.
Moodle has applied to be part of GSOC 2018 but so far we only have a very small number of developers who have expressed an interest in being a GSOC mentor.
I can volunteer to be a mentor for this project ("Translation in context"), although I don't have experience with Moodle development.
I can find only this page about GSoC: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/GSOC