Problem with Google Drive Converter when grading in Moodle 3.3

Problem with Google Drive Converter when grading in Moodle 3.3

by Brian Chandler -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the Google Drive Converter to work when grading assignments. I feel like I've tried everything, so maybe somebody here can help guide me or see something I missed. I also tried getting Unoconv converter to work and couldn't, but that's a different story. I assumed Google Drive Converter would be easier to get going.

Here's what has happened recently:

- The website was migrated to a new host. They were using Unoconv and Moodle 2.6 on the old host, working fine.

- We upgraded the Moodle site from 2.6 to 3.0 to 3.3. 

- Without getting into all the specifics, we couldn't get Unoconv to work on this server, so I tried using Google Drive Converter. Both converters give the error below:

- If I click Ok on that button, nothing happens. It just continues to read "Generating the PDF..." but nothing ever appears. The majority of the files are .docx files. Interesting to note though that even a submitted PDF file reports the same error.

- Here is the Document Converters settings screen:

- When I click "Test this convert is working properly." I get this message:

- When I test the document conversion, I can see the PDF that says "This is a test...etc."

- Here is the screen for OAuth 2 services:

- Here are the settings for Google OAuth

Does anybody have an idea of what I'm missing or how to help?

Many thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Chandler

Re: Problem with Google Drive Converter when grading in Moodle 3.3

by Brian Chandler -

I solved this myself.

I turns out there was an issue with the server that was preventing Ghostscript from running. 

We had PHP-FPM enabled on this server, which was preventing the php exec() function from running. Once I followed these steps and removed exec from the new settings for PHP-FPM, Ghostscript started working, and in turn Google Drive Converter. It's possible this will fix the Unoconv issues too, but I'm happy enough just using GDC.

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/enabling-php-fpm-forces-disable_functions.590799/#post-2391379

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brian Chandler

Re: Problem with Google Drive Converter when grading in Moodle 3.3

by A. A. -

I had the same problem. Everything was set up properly, both in Google OAuth2 and Moodle, but I couldn't see the converted file when grading.

It happened to be the problem of checking the "online text" checkbox of submission type in the assignment setting page.

Unchecking it solved the problem.

It means that the converter wants only a file to be converted, without any other type of input as the online text that the student could send with the assignment file.