TopCol; confusion

TopCol; confusion

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 5

I know I had TolColl working years back but cannot seem to get it working again.  It is not a matter of installation rather it is in settings.

I have titles for a few sections and use the week information on many others. The problem is that I cannot seem to get that to happen again.

I get the title and the date, or "Section". but cannot seem to get collapsible topics and my original topics for some and week dates for the rest.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: TopCol; confusion

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am unfamiliar with TolColl.  However, I do use Gareth's Collapsed Topics.  Might this be what you mean?  If not, oh well, I can't help.

Below is an example of what I see using Collapsed Topics.  (You can see more by watching some of my Moodle videos from this webpage.)

Attachment collapsed topics.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Presently on Topcoll 3.1.1.2  soon to be 3.1.1.3 after Jan 3.

by Rick Jerz -

Ah, I now see.  Gareth's add-in is named "Collapsed Topics," however, the folder that it sits in is called "topcoll."  I knew that I had seen "topcoll" somewhere (I see it every time I upgrade my moodle.)  Actually, I have been using Collapsed Topics since Moodle 2.0.  Love it!

Steve, as you explore updating your moodle, Gareth has made some very good improvements to Collapsed Topics.  I am one who believes that it even improves how Boost's NavDrawer displays items.  And it also serves both multi-topic and single-topic views.  It is simply great!

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I presume that our version 3.1.1.2 is close to the latest and greatest and that when 3.1.1.3 is is installed soon that there might not be all that uch change.

So, from what I gather, it is not supported in Boost and although it is allowed in Clean and More that  they are on the way out sooner or later.

Since I have the option for Clean and More for the moment, the original question remains:  How do I get the week dates on the topics and still have collapsible columns? I tried the options but maybe I am just not seeing it.

by Rick Jerz -

From what I can see, Collapsed Topics 3.1.1.3 was release on 10/16/2016.  So it is only slightly older than one year old.  When you upgrade your moodle, I would pick the correct version of Collapsed Topics to match your version, for example Moodle 3.3 or Moodle 3.4.

Why do you think Collapsed Topics is not supported in Boost?  Of course, it is.  I have been running Collapsed Topics with Boost for at least a half year.

I no longer run More, and never ran Clean since More gives you Clean plus more.  I also do not set my Collapsed topics to "weeks." I use "topics."  As you experiment, I am sharing with you my Collapsed Topics settings (see graphic.)   I just tried switching Collapsed Topics from "topics" to "weeks."  Hmmm, the week dates are added to the topics.   I don't like week headings, so I am not sure if this is what you are after (screen shot, (ctw).)

Attachment CT.jpg
Attachment ctw.jpg