H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Crome does not show videos after upgrading H5P to v. 1., and Moodle to v. 3.4, video content is replaced by the words "video format not supported".

Any clues?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What happens in other browsers and what type of video is it. By the way I know nothing of this issue, but I have a strong feeling anyone who does would want answers to those questions.

In reply to Marcus Green

Ang: Re: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Bente Olsen -

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your suggestion smile

The video used is a mp4 file.

Chrome error log says: resource: net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED

According to stackoverflow, some people can solve the problem with the php.ini setting

zlib.output_compression=On

I have tried that, but without success. I have also tried to add the suggested content in .htaccess, but that did not help either.

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What happens with other browsers? I am not asking that in order to suggest switching to a different browser.

In reply to Marcus Green

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Bente Olsen -

In other browsers it works as expected - and wanted smile

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bente,

Can you please clarify if you're using the same MP4 file before and after the H5P update? i.e. Is this a browser issue caused by a change in H5P?

Encoding videos that are robustly web compatible is a tricky business. The most widely used video format for the web is:

• MP4 media container
  • h.264 CODEC
  • MOOV atom (video file metadata) at the beginning of the video stream

Playing the video file in VLC ( https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ) will enable you to view the CODEC information (Ctrl + J).

If this is what you're using, then there may be some kind of MIME type issue in the H5P video player code. Have you found other reports/forum posts with this issue with H5P?

I hope this helps!

Matt

In reply to Matt Bury

by Bente Olsen -

Hi Matt,

It is for sure the same mp4 files that we used before and after the update. It is h5p activities that worked previously.

I have not found other histories about the same problem. But just before updating Moodle and p5p our web host moved us to another server. So it is not clear if that could be the reason, though I guess it was moved to a sever equal to the other.

In reply to Bente Olsen

by Bente Olsen -

I am sure now that this is no Moodle nor H5P issue, it must be something relating to the server. No mp4 files can be played in Chrom(e/ium).

Thanks for participating. I will return if I get the answer to what is going on.

Happy New year!

Bente

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bente,

Glad to hear you're closer to tracking down the issue.

Happy new year!

Matt

In reply to Bente Olsen

Ang: H5P: "video format not supported" in Chrome

by Bente Olsen -

Problem solved!
The new server had gzip set to compress everything smile

Bente