Feedback in formulas question type

Feedback in formulas question type

by François Lizotte -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello,

We are using Moodle 3.2 and we just noticed that the feedback for a specific part of a formulas question type only displays if the student has zero for the overall question.

If the student partially succeed, the feedback won't appear.

Screencast in French:

Also, some teacher tried to regrade a quiz after editing a formulas question. I wonder if it's possible, knowing that some Q-types using variables cannot be regraded.

François

Average of ratings: -
In reply to François Lizotte

Re: Feedback in formulas question type

by Bernat Martinez -

Hi François

We have recently come across this issue and after some research we found that  it could be a bug in the renderer.php file at formulas folder

line 432 should be changed from 

$showfeedback = $options->feedback && $state == question_state::$gradedwrong;

to this

$showfeedback = $options->feedback;

Then the part feedback is always shown, also when everything is correct. 

Maybe someone could add more light on this

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bernat Martinez

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

In fact I did it on purpose.

The formulas question type has so many feedback that I needed a rule to know where I put various parts of feedback for students

At the time I took this decision, I asked for comments in the quiz forum

see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=163345&parent=826060 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=181049&parent=952799

Unfortunately they were very few answers, but they were rather in favor of this change.

I don't think we can change it now in the plugin because it would break quite a lot of existing questions.

Of course if it doesn't suit your use of the formulas questions, feel fre tho patch the code on your site.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Bernat Martinez -

Hi Jean Michel, 

In reviewing your old post I can understand the effort you made to build the formulas question  and its feedback system and I regret that at that time we were unable to provide you some feedback. 

Once said this  I have to clarify my answer. 

Problem setting: 

Quizz behaviour= Interactive with multiple tries

Question= formulas with parts using variables

Result= feedback is shown only if all parts are wrong, if one is OK, no feedback

To make it clearer I have made two different  versions  of the same question, in different contexts (in 2 different Moodle servers connected via LTI): one uses the original code , and the other uses the code I have adapted

Please log in as teacher/teacher at 

Maybe we are talking about  different things, as this is a more concrete issue, which only affects to questions which use the behaviour= Interactive with multiple tries.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hi bernat,

Thanks for providing an example, it helps a lot !

As you guessed, the problem is in the renderer in the part_feedback function.

For the adaptive behaviour no problem because we are in fact not using adaptive but using Tim's adaptive for multi part questions behaviour, so lines 434-442 $showfeedback is corrected according to the part graded state, not the question graded state.

Unfortunately we can't do that for other behaviours as all we have is the question graded state.

A very quick fix would be to show the feedback if the question graded state is wrong or partially correct.

Of course this would not be perfect as feedback for some parts will be displayed even is that part's response is correct, but at least if all the question is correct no part feedback will be displayed (only general and combined feedback).

I think this is the best we can do without too much work (we don't have enough information provided by the behaviour to know the graded state of the part). But maybe I am wrong ?

by Bernat Martinez -

Yes, I agree, your proposal would be better what I have intended, as showing feedback if all parts are correct would be somewhat redundant. 

So, what would be the code?

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I think that something like

$showfeedback = $options->feedback

&& ($state == question_state::$gradedwrong || $state == question_state::$gradedpartial);

would do the job

by Bernat Martinez -

Perfect!!, yes,  it does the job, 

I have tested it at http://formulas.compasspro.eu/  

On the other hand, this website tries to be a sharing place for teachers using formulas questions, they could be also  shared in a broader site as you are planning. Good idea